Kino Lorber Studio Classics

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
TMDaines

Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics

#5376 Post by TMDaines » Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:07 am

EddieLarkin wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 3:49 pm
TMDaines wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:45 pm
Is that even when paying about $30-40 for Stackery to reship?
Yes, that's all in. A typical Kino Blu-ray is $9.99 when on sale, delivery is free and there's no taxes to ship to Stackry due to the state they're located in (NH).

So an order of 20 Blu-rays is $200 to Kino, $40 to Stackry, plus a savvy customs declaration, equals £10 a disc.
Had a great first experience with Stackry. A big order from Kino of about that size, a couple of Criterion boxsets and Warner Archive titles from Amazon.com, then another half-dozen titles from Hamiltonbook. No import VAT due to declared value, and it all arrived in less than a week using their cheapest mailing option. Will definitely go again.

Matt

Kino Lorber Studio Classics

#5377 Post by Matt » Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:53 pm

Coming April 30: Vitagraph Comedies, a 3-disc collection in partnership with the Library of Congress. No list of titles yet, but stars include Larry Semon, Edith Storey, John Bunny, Frank Roberts, and Mr. and Mrs. Sidney Drew.

TechnicolorAcid

#5378 Post by TechnicolorAcid » Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:26 am

I cannot speak for the rest but I saw a John Bunny short a while back (A Cure for Pokeritis I believe) and he is probably the only reason I remembered that film, he is a charming presence to be sure, with a style of WC Fields and Oliver Hardy in a way (A Cure for Pokeritis has some parallels to Sons of the Desert in a way) and it’s clear that had he not died so young into his film career he could had made a wonderful career. Even more tragic considering a lot of his stuff is now lost or generally unavailable though part of me hopes that one of those shorts might pop up. An exciting announcement to be sure of though and the rest of the stars sound interesting too.

captveg

#5379 Post by captveg » Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:05 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:59 am
Johnny Handsome is getting a UHD… remind me again what actually popular titles did KLSC claim wouldn’t sell?
They've also said they have been taking more risks on UHD than they were just a couple years ago, so presumably titles they considered too risky then would be ones they would be more willing to take a chance on now.

TechnicolorAcid

#5380 Post by TechnicolorAcid » Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:53 pm

April titles have been announced including an official date for the High Noon 4K:
Home Theater Forum wrote:April 9th

The Minus Man (1999) Brand New HD Master - From a New 2K Scan of the 35mm Interpositive
You Never Can Tell (1951) Brand New HD Master - From a New 2K Scan of the 35mm Fine Grain
The Looters (1955) Brand New HD Master - From a New 2K Scan of the 35mm Fine Grain

April 16th

High Noon (1952) 4KUHD Brand New HDR/Dolby Vision Master - From a New 4K Scan of the 35mm OCN
Fletch (1985) Brand New HD Master - From a New 2K Scan of the 35mm Interpositive
Fletch Lives (1989) Brand New HD Master - From a New 2K Scan of the 35mm Interpositive

April 23rd

Monk: Season 6 (2007-2008) 4K Restoration by Universal
Starting Over (1979) Brand New HD Master - From a New 4K Scan of the 35mm OCN
True Love (1989) Brand New HD Master - From a New 2K Scan of the 35mm Interpositive
Varietease (1954) | Teaserama (1955) - Betty Page Double Feature (Kino Cult #7)

April 30th

Cry-Baby (1990) 4KUHD Brand New HDR/Dolby Vision Master - From a New 4K Scan of the 35mm OCN
Bluebeard (1944) 80th Anniversary (2020 HD Master by Paramount - From a 4K Scan)
Secret Beyond the Door (1947) 2022 HD Master by Paramount - From a 4K Scan
Submarine Command (1951) 2020 HD Master by Paramount - From a 4K Scan
Thunder in the East (1953) 2022 HD Master by Paramount - From a 4K Scan

beamish14

#5381 Post by beamish14 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:44 am

Wow, I can’t believe they’re doing The Minus Man. Hope it includes an HD version of the greatest trailer ever made

therewillbeblus

#5382 Post by therewillbeblus » Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:08 am

Forgot that movie existed for about 25 years now

beamish14

#5383 Post by beamish14 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:28 am

therewillbeblus wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:08 am
Forgot that movie existed for about 25 years now
It’s a solid, quirky film. I rewatched it for the first time in years after seeing Michael Almereyda’s great documentary on Hampton Fancher, Escapes

FrauBlucher

#5384 Post by FrauBlucher » Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:01 pm

Coming Soon on Blu-ray!
4K Restoration by TF1!

THE BLACK TULIP (1964) Starring Alain Delon, Virna Lisi, Dawn Addams & Akim Tamiroff – Shot by Henri Decaë (Le Samouraï) – Directed by Christian-Jaque (Fanfan le Tulipe, Un Revenant).

FrauBlucher

#5385 Post by FrauBlucher » Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:04 pm

There will be one or two people somewhere that'll be happy about this...
Coming Soon on 4KUHD!

BELOW (2002) Starring Bruce Greenwood, Olivia Williams, Holt McCallany, Scott Foley, Jason Flemying & Zach Galifianakis – Shot by Ian Wilson (The Crying Game) – Music by Graeme Revell (The Crow) – Co-Written & Directed by David Twohy (Pitch Black).

captveg

#5386 Post by captveg » Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:40 pm

More OOP based on previously being in the "While Supplies Last" sale and now no longer appearing on the website:

I Wake Up Screaming (1941)

EDIT: KL Insider has clarified that The Bounty (1984) and Up the Creek (1984) are merely out of stock until 4/1/24. In fact, these have been renewed for re-issue. Other BD renewals are:

Hannibal (2001) (BD & UHD)
Haunted Honeymoon (1986)
Mississippi Burning (1988)
Support Your Local Gunfighter (1971)
Support Your Local Sheriff (1969)
Last edited by captveg on Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.

beamish14

#5387 Post by beamish14 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:56 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:04 pm
There will be one or two people somewhere that'll be happy about this...
Coming Soon on 4KUHD!

BELOW (2002) Starring Bruce Greenwood, Olivia Williams, Holt McCallany, Scott Foley, Jason Flemying & Zach Galifianakis – Shot by Ian Wilson (The Crying Game) – Music by Graeme Revell (The Crow) – Co-Written & Directed by David Twohy (Pitch Black).

I definitely think its developed a pretty solid cult following. Don’t expect it to feel like any of Darren Aronofsky’s films, though

Finch

#5388 Post by Finch » Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:03 pm

Pursued 1947 is getting reissued by Kino on BD.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#5389 Post by domino harvey » Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:30 pm

Finch wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:03 pm
I thought that one might be on KL's radar, glad I put off picking it up when Olive went kaput. A flawed film for me, but one I've wanted to revisit

FrauBlucher

#5390 Post by FrauBlucher » Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:15 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:30 pm
Finch wrote:
I thought that one might be on KL's radar, glad I put off picking it up when Olive went kaput. A flawed film for me, but one I've wanted to revisit
For whatever reason this is a hard film to find. It lived in my Netflix unavailable queue for years. And it hasn't played on TCM. And I haven't seen it scheduled at any rep houses here in NY. Was there ever a DVD of this?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#5391 Post by domino harvey » Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:00 pm

Yes, before Olive put a Blu/DVD out, Artisan released a DVD of it

Finch

#5392 Post by Finch » Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:08 pm

I bought the Olive BD from Deep Discount last year. If the new Kino is well encoded on a dual layer disc (Olive's was single layer), I might get it unless, of course, a UK boutique label goes one better and offers a booklet and some video supplements.

therewillbeblus

#5393 Post by therewillbeblus » Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:44 pm

I just watched the Olive BD and it looked perfectly fine to me, it'd have to be quite the jump to upgrade

FrauBlucher

#5394 Post by FrauBlucher » Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:48 pm

Finch wrote:
According Bluray.com this is getting a new 4k restoration by Paramount

Orlac

#5395 Post by Orlac » Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:53 am

Someone's not a fan of Kino's Cinema's First Nasty Women release - https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=371307
I LOVE silent films. This four-disc set is the WORST. If you took the ones that you might want to see twice, you'd have one disc. Most of this is painful to watch, and should be left to rot in the dark. But, the horrible, awful shorts with no plot or reason aren't the worst thing about this set. That honor goes to the narrators. Woke feminists who equate modern insanity to film making back in the earliest days of cinema.

In their view (these are supposed scholars) there's plenty of gender bending going on. There was. Not for any of the moronic reasons they list. In the early days, women didn't do prat falls and slap stick. When you see a man dressed as a woman in these, you know they're going to fall and potentially hurting themselves. They didn't put these "nasty women" in that position.

One delusional person with cognitive disabilities says her favorite film is the 1911 version of Broke Back Mountain, A Range Romance. Keep in mind that in many movies (even today) people fall in love in a split second. In silents it was even quicker.

In this person's mind, in 1911, the writer, filmmaker and cast were consciously thinking about homosexuality in a 12-minute western. A man takes his daughter and leaves his wife. He disguises the girl as a boy and they head west. Why does he disguise her as a boy? Your guess is as good as mine. It's not explained. But, this is a pretty awful short.

On the title card it says The Foreman and Bessie (they never gave Bessie a boy's name) become friends.

The rancher sends for a new cook. While a new cook is being hired, there's a title card where Bessie is found out to be a girl by the foreman who falls in love with her. Not with a young boy. But, with a young girl. Of course, the new cook was Bessie's mother. A reconciliation ensues between the parents, and the foreman and the full woman, Bessie, are married. She's seen in a dress with a child.

There isn't a hint of homosexuality in this. Not in 1911, not in a sane person's mind in 2024. Only in the truly woke brainless minds of the Idiots introductions to many of these worthless shorts. The few good ones do not need introductions, they're worthwhile on their own as films.

Over half the films have TRIGGER WARNINGS that these films contain racist images that some may find offensive. That they're still harming blacks, minorities and other indigenous people. But, they're not WHITEwashing the past. They learn from it.

Two of my favorite introductions were back to back. A Cherokee inducted woman introduces a short about a brave young Indian Woman who saves a white baby. "You learn so much about the girl's tribe, and her customs". She sure didn't watch the short I did. To say these people are delusional is an understatement. But, after touting this strong Native American in the film, she's writing a book "How to Get Away With Murder". She says 4 out of 5 Native American women are abused. These films hold the answers to why. Yes, she is insane.

The next short is a comedy about a Native American woman living with her tribe, when a busload of white tourists come to see the reservation. The Native American woman is enamored with women's clothing. She goes on a shopping spree. The indigenous introduction spent most of the time criticizing the short and saying how she found it offensive. I guess the trigger warning was there for her. Because these Indians (if they were actual Native Americans) were the butt of the joke, and didn't have any control over the content in 1911. My favorite part of her nonsense was when she spoke of how strong Native American women are. As the last woman said, 4 out of 5 Native American women are abused. That's some strength.

If you must own this, buy it CHEAP. It's half price at $40. Wait for it to get down to $20 or, better yet, $10. Most of this is trash, and the introductions are beyond worthless.

Pioneers: First Women Filmmakers is an EXCELLENT set of female filmmaking . The African American set is a must have for anyone who loves silents. Nasty Women is four discs that should be one without the insane narration. They should have stayed silent, or at least based in reality. I'd bet these women love the term "my truth".

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#5396 Post by domino harvey » Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:49 am

Everything he’s criticizing may be plausible, I haven’t seen these films or extras. But I doubt any of this is in good faith with a line like this
They should have stayed silent
capping off his list of grievances against women and intellectualism

What A Disgrace

#5397 Post by What A Disgrace » Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:10 am

Everybody gangsta until women and intellectualism.

FrauBlucher

#5398 Post by FrauBlucher » Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:01 pm

Coming Soon on Blu-ray!

THE PROUD AND THE PROFANE (1956) Starring William Holden, Deborah Kerr, Thelma Ritter & Dewey Martin – Shot by John F. Warren (Torn Curtain) – Music by Victor Young (The Quiet Man) – Written & Directed by George Seaton (The Counterfeit Traitor, Airport).

FrauBlucher

#5399 Post by FrauBlucher » Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:21 pm

The Ladykillers is getting a UHD release

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#5400 Post by domino harvey » Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:48 pm

Let me guess, the Coens remake no one even likes