Twilight Time / Redwind

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
captveg

Re: Twilight Time / Redwind

#3376 Post by captveg » Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:45 pm

fiddlesticks wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:22 pm
According to the email announcing this sale, the following titles are running low:
These are the quantities available at Twilight Time's site, but there are (unknown) quantities of these titles at Screen Archives.

beamish14

#3377 Post by beamish14 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:25 am

I guess I should finally pull the trigger on Chilly Scenes of Winter. I adore that film so much, but I kept hoping Indicator would take it on.

agnamaracs

#3378 Post by agnamaracs » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:21 pm

Does anyone have opinions or recommendations on the following:
La Bambola di Satana/Satan's Doll
Gran Bollito/Black Journal
La Moglie Piu Bella/The Most Beautiful Wife
La Corta Notte della Bambole di Vetro/Short Night of Glass Dolls

chatterjees

#3379 Post by chatterjees » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:08 pm

The only one I have watched is the last one, Short Night of Glass Dolls. I have the 88 Films release. It's a decent giallo with less gore in it, but it is a good thriller. I like works of Sorel, Ingrid Thulin and Aldo Lado, and the best part is the Morricone score. So that was enough for me to blind buy it, and I don't regret.

dwk

#3380 Post by dwk » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:45 pm

Short Night of Glass Dolls is worth picking up, especially at the sale price. Unfortunatly, I believe the other three titles have those awful scanner noise transfers that were/are all too common among Italian HD masters.

AfterTheRain

#3381 Post by AfterTheRain » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:44 pm

Pony Soldier and State of Grace are sold out at Screen Archives, if anyone's wondering.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#3382 Post by tenia » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:40 am

A request to the collective minds of this board : could you give me some examples of TT releases that either have cheaper/more complete counterparts elsewhere (like UK or France) or have been re-released in the US in cheaper/more complete counterparts ?
I have Christine, The Fury, Hussy, Vampire, The Blob (1988), Fright Night, and Night of the Living Dead (1990) but I know there are others, except my memory is failing me.

I'll be covering Lyon Lumière Film Festival this year, and they'll have a roundtable about the future of home video physical format with labels reprensentative, including a TT one and I'd like to challenge them about how the right-holding current system over-compartiment the market to the point it's detrimental to some consumers who might be stuck with over-priced / under-developped releases, and these comparisons with TT make them a very concrete example of this opportunism.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3383 Post by domino harvey » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:06 pm

Indicator: Dragonwyck, Effect of Gamma Rays..., the Snake Pit, probably more

Boosmahn

#3384 Post by Boosmahn » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:07 pm

The Incident, Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia, and Hardcore come to mind.

Nw_jahrles

#3385 Post by Nw_jahrles » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:19 pm

Taking a glance at their releases, I spot:

10 to Midnight (Shout Factory)
The Incident (Eureka)
Woody Allen films (Arrow)
Model Shop (Arrow)
The Hound of the Baskervilles (Arrow)
The New Centurions (Indicator)
Dragonwyck (Indicator)
Hardcore (Indicator)

I would say Arrow, Indicator and Eureka are releasing TT titles in the UK in better packages in every way imaginable, even if using the same transfer. Kino and Shout are relaxing them in the US. And while Kino seems to release things with similar quality/effort as TT, they sell it for half the price. Combined with the fact TT has rereleased some of their bestsellers with improved transfers, I don’t see why anyone would order anything from them frankly.

Feego

#3386 Post by Feego » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:30 pm

1984 (Criterion)
10 to Midnight and Wild at Heart (Shout! Factory)
Steel Magnolias and Guess Who's Coming to Dinner (Sony, the latter is missing the commentary but is certainly cheaper)
Thunderbirds Are Go/Thunderbird 6 (Kino, missing a couple of featurettes but again cheaper)

Gregory

#3387 Post by Gregory » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:55 pm

Body Double: Indicator added a couple of interviews
Bunny Lake Is Missing: Indicator added a couple of interviews with actors who were still around
Fat City: TT release had only the usual isolated score/commentary/trailer; Indicator added numerous great audio and video supplements—archival stuff plus a new documentary
The Incident: Eureka added an exclusive commentary
A Man for All Seasons: MoC added a Neal Sinyard interview
Man from Laramie: TT had only the isolated score and trailer; MoC added an Adrian Martin commentary and Kim Newman interview
Man Hunt: TT included commentary and featurette; Signal One release added two new interviews
Riff-Raff / Raining Stones: TT only included isolated scores; BFI set containing these two films plus Ladybird Ladybird contained extensive supplements about Loach's life and work
Last edited by Gregory on Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

#3388 Post by Rayon Vert » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:57 pm

Underworld USA, Crimson Kimono

Gregory

#3389 Post by Gregory » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:15 pm

I remembered one more:
Birdman of Alcatraz: MoC added more than an hour's worth of new video supplements

therewillbeblus

#3390 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:25 pm

A few that haven't been mentioned:

Arrow Academy put out Woman on the Run and Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice (the TT edition of the latter actually has some decent extras with two commentaries, but Arrow replaced one with an Adrian Martin commentary - I can't speak to whether the replacement is superior, but I'm going to bet on it).

Indicator also put out Suddenly, Last Summer and The Stone Killer.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3391 Post by domino harvey » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:35 pm

Woman on the Run (and Too Late For Tears) was Flicker Alley, not TT, and they were the exact same discs as the Arrows (with different branding coming up solely based on the region of the player)

therewillbeblus

#3392 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:43 pm

True, an oversight on my end. Scrolling through their site I forgot about the inclusion of Flicker Alley titles (and actually knew this to be true when failing to change regions on my own Arrow copy the first time, and being perplexed at the foreign style of the menu).

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#3393 Post by tenia » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:28 am

Thanks for all these everyone ! I should be more than able to illustrate my point.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#3394 Post by tenia » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:52 am

In the end, having had a look based on that plus what I actually own and what I could gather on Beaver or blu-ray.com, I find some "worst offenders" where TT's business model really seems un-competitive considering their editorial content, either because there's almost none but they still charge $25 (or even $30) for their releases, or because it got (easily) tore apart by global competition.

For instance, Two Rode Together, 8 heads in a Duffel bag, Blue Denim Behold A Pale Horse, Mr Hobbs Takes a Vacation, Heaven Knows Mr Allison or Wild in the Country are pretty much barebones (except the usual - but not systematic - isolated score and trailer) releases priced at least $25. The Whole Town's Talking litterally is barebones, while Satan Never Sleeps only has a trailer.

On the other hand, here are some titles where the worldwide competition just put some much more attractive packages (usually for a cheaper price) : Zardoz (Arrow : + 150 min of extras), The Mechanic (Wild Side : +41 min), Panic in Needle Park (Signal One : +78min), Violent Saturday (Eureka : +49 min), The Fury (Arrow : +115 min), Hussy (Indicator : + 72 min), Birdman of Alcatraz (MoC : +65 min), Fat City (Indicator : +65 min + the John Player Lecture), The Last Detail (Indicator : +48 min + the TV Syndication cut).

Even better : when the US re-releases beat the TT ones (sometimes for a cheaper price) : 1984 (Criterion : +71 min), Vampires (Shout : +58 min + 21 min vintage making of), The Blob 88 (12 new ITWs + 1 new audio com + a BTS featurette), 10 To Midnight (Shout : + 36 min + 1 audio com'), Fright Night (Sony : + 41 min + 2h30 You're So Cool, Brewster!).

Finally, there are the cheaper equivalent re-releases from Sony (Night of the Living Dead, Christine, Steel Magnolias), and the Sony titles TT released in the US for $30 but Sony released in Europe for 8€ (As Good as it Gets, Philadelphia, Sleepless in Seattle, The Way We Were).

I'll go with some of those.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#3395 Post by tenia » Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:31 pm

The Q&A session was too short so I havent been able to ask my question (and unfortunately, I was chatting with another label when Brian Jamieson left my eyesight and I havent been able to find him again afterwards).

He spoke about TT and explained that while 2016 has been a booming year for them, it has been followed by a huge drop in 2017. It explains why they started doing sales more and more often, and they're currently taking a break on releasing new releases in order to re-evaluate the market.

He also gave some figures dor licensing costs and in-house cleaning/restorations of additional elements (like the Roadshow elements for Judgment at Nuremberg) : licensing costs range up to $60k and from (I'm not 100% sure of the figure) $20-30k.

They had huge problems on their recent release of Sunshine : it took 6 years for Universal to agree licencing it, but the negative was already in full vinegar syndrome. Fortunately, they managed to get a new restoration done somehow... only for Universal to realise some music rights werent cleared ! They almost pulled the plug on the whole thing but since sunk costs are real, the missing money got injected and the project got done.

(NB: this was a live conference so some of this might not be 100% accurate. I understood TT put some of their own money in getting Sunshine released but I'm unsure on who put the last bit of money on the table. Sorry for that)

Side note : I got jealous of the moderator-journalist who ended up getting the few TT copies Jamieson brought as freebies. It was The President's Lady and Wild in the Country though. He also brought Sunshine, but the journalist only got 2.

Sungjii Oh from the KFA was also there, and also Manuel Chiche (ex- Wild Side, currently The Jokers and La Rabbia), Vincent Paul-Boncour (Carlotta) and Stefan Droessler (Editions Filmmmuseum Munich).

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3396 Post by domino harvey » Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:28 pm

In another sign that this label is dead, Julie Kirgo is no longer associated with Twilight Time

MichaelB

#3397 Post by MichaelB » Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:15 pm

JPJ wrote:Hopefully Beat the devil is coming from Indicator.TT´s disc is region A-locked so someone in region B land must release this transfer.
The BFI’s bringing it out early next year.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#3398 Post by tenia » Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:31 pm

domino harvey wrote:In another sign that this label is dead, Julie Kirgo is no longer associated with Twilight Time
It was a very long twilight but I guess this might be it, then.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3399 Post by domino harvey » Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:32 pm

On the plus side, they'll probably start slashing prices on their existing stock soon

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#3400 Post by tenia » Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:50 pm

SAE has already been multiplying their clearance sales though for months, though.