426 The Ice Storm

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
dadaistnun

426 The Ice Storm

#1 Post by dadaistnun » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:39 am

The Ice Storm

[img]http://criterion_production.s3.amazonaws.com/release_images/1759/426_icestorm_w100.jpg[/img]

Suburban Connecticut, 1973. While the Watergate hearings blast from the TV, the wayward Hood and Carver families try to navigate a Thanksgiving break simmering with unspoken resentments, sexual experimentation, and cultural confusion. With crystalline clarity, characteristic subtlety, and even a dose of wicked humor, Academy Award–winning director Ang Lee adapts Rick Moody's acclaimed novel of American malaise into a trenchant, tragic portrait of lost souls. Featuring a cast of tremendously talented adults (Kevin Kline, Joan Allen, Sigourney Weaver) and kids (up-and-coming stars Tobey Maguire, Christina Ricci, Elijah Wood), The Ice Storm is one of the finest films of the nineties.

DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION DOUBLE-DISC SET FEATURES

- New, restored high-definition digital transfer, supervised and approved by director Ang Lee and director of photography Frederick Elmes
- Audio commentary featuring Lee and producer-screenwriter James Schamus
- New documentary featuring interviews with actors Joan Allen, Kevin Kline, Tobey Maguire, Christina Ricci, Sigourney Weaver, and Elijah Wood
- New video interview with novelist Rick Moody
- Deleted scenes
- Footage from an event honoring Lee and Schamus at New York's Museum of the Moving Image
- Visual essays featuring interviews with the cinematographer, production designer, and costume designer
- Theatrical trailer
- PLUS: A new essay by film critic Bill Krohn

Criterionforum.org user rating averages

Feature currently disabled

jorencain

#2 Post by jorencain » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:46 am

dadaistnun wrote:The first thing that comes to mind is The Ice Storm. Might this be the sign of more titles from Fox?
That's what I thought too. Hope it is.

Napoleon

#3 Post by Napoleon » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:48 am

jorencain wrote:That's what I thought too. Hope it is.
I hope it is too. I get the feeling that Ang Lee isn't too popular on this site so the whining and bitching will be great fun.

jaredsap

#4 Post by jaredsap » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:06 am

jorencain wrote:That's what I thought too. Hope it is.
First thing that came to me as well. A surprise, especially since the Fox disc is still in print.

No bitching from this corner -- while I'm not a big Ang Lee fan, THE ICE STORM is his best film imo.

Gigi M.

#5 Post by Gigi M. » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:09 am

jaredsap wrote:I'm not a big Ang Lee fan, THE ICE STORM is his best film imo.
Same here. Very glad to finally see a film from the last 10 years or so join the collection again.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#6 Post by domino harvey » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:16 am

I haven't seen it since it came out but I remember liking it-- definitely seems like a movie that would sell well outside of Criterion tho, very very surprising announcement.

sevenarts

#7 Post by sevenarts » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:25 am

I remember liking it OK, though it is definitely surprising that Criterion would be able to get ahold of an Ang Lee film considering his current It-status.

bkimball

#8 Post by bkimball » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:48 am

My first reaction to the hint was The Apartment, but The Ice Storm makes more sense.

At any rate, they have both been released and are currently available.

mteller

#9 Post by mteller » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:50 am

Meh. I would have preferred Eat Drink Man Woman.

colinr0380

#10 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:53 am

No idea about rights issues, but I'd love to think that if The Ice Storm is a certainty that Criterion might cheekily pair it up with Abigail's Party in a "neighbourly party gone badly wrong" double bill! - "Do you like Demis Roussos?"

sevenarts

#11 Post by sevenarts » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:54 am

jaredsap wrote:It's not just a better business decision -- it's a necessary one.
I agree. If this is The Ice Storm, I won't be getting it, it's a decent film at best, but if this kind of release underwrites more Ozu and future obscure Eclipse boxes, I'm all for it.

LightBulbFilm

#12 Post by LightBulbFilm » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:50 am

bkimball wrote:My first reaction to the hint was The Apartment, but The Ice Storm makes more sense.

At any rate, they have both been released and are currently available.
I thought the Apartment as well... but as everyone says, The Ice Storm makes a lot more sense.

But I just bought the damn disc this past Christmas. Meh, it was only 7 bucks.

colinr0380

#13 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:11 am

The Ice Storm fits given the recent Ang Lee mention on the On Five blog.

Eclisse

#14 Post by Eclisse » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:23 am

bkimball wrote:My first reaction to the hint was The Apartment, but The Ice Storm makes more sense.
My first reaction to the hint was The Exterminating Angel (I was dreaming for 5 seconds), but the Ice Storm makes more sense. Yes,I know it makes no sense. But like I said, I was just dreaming.

eez28

#15 Post by eez28 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:43 am

Hell yeah, I love The Ice Storm and have always wanted it but always resisted in the hope that a nice special edition would be released.

Oedipax

#16 Post by Oedipax » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:31 pm

I think this is great news, but then again, I'm thrilled that they did DAYS OF HEAVEN as well. I'd also be thrilled if they released nothing but Godard year-round until they had everything covered, but...

mogwai

#17 Post by mogwai » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:53 pm

This absolutely has to be The Ice Storm. You'll hear no bitching from me -- I love this film! One of my favorites. Amazing news. This is such a heart wrenching, beautifully made movie, and the current DVD is certainly lackluster.

It's funny, I e-mailed Criterion a number of times to inquire about them releasing this film, but was only ever told they had no plans. I had given up some time ago. I guess it finally payed off.

Lemmy Caution

#18 Post by Lemmy Caution » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:12 pm

I'm not much of an Ang Lee fan, but thought The Ice Storm was a very good film. Also, IMO, it was a significant influence on American Beauty.

I also prefer more releases of unavailable or lesser-known art films. But Ice Storm is a good film, and if this helps Criterion make money that gets lesser-known gems out on Dvd, then I'm all for it.

Luke M

#19 Post by Luke M » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:23 pm

Spidey and Frodo enter the Criterion Collection!! I liked The Ice Storm alright, but I can't stand Ang Lee for the absolutely horrendous Hulk and equally terrible Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

glaswegian tome

#20 Post by glaswegian tome » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:26 pm

Luke M wrote:Spidey and Frodo enter the Criterion Collection!!
Spidey was in Fear and Loathing, brah.

tavernier

#21 Post by tavernier » Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:32 pm

It was also Katie Holmes' debut, for what it's worth.

Luke M

#22 Post by Luke M » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:14 pm

glaswegian tome wrote:
Luke M wrote:Spidey and Frodo enter the Criterion Collection!!
Spidey was in Fear and Loathing, brah.

#-o

eez28

#23 Post by eez28 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:38 pm

glaswegian tome wrote:Spidey was in Fear and Loathing, brah.

can't place him?

miless

#24 Post by miless » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:20 pm

eez28 wrote:

can't place him?
the Albino hitch-hiker with the Ralph Steadman "Mickey on Acid" T-Shirt

eez28

#25 Post by eez28 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:37 pm

miless wrote:
eez28 wrote:

can't place him?
the Albino hitch-hiker with the Ralph Steadman "Mickey on Acid" T-Shirt
yeah, I knew who he was, I just quoted the wrong post, I was meaning to ask Luke if he couldn't place him. So Luke, now that miless said who spidey is, are you still scratching your head?