381 La haine

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
jbeall

Re: 381 La haine

#176 Post by jbeall » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:14 pm

dwk wrote:For those of you that haven't read Chris's review of the Blu-ray (the only place I've seen this mentioned), the subtitles on the Blu-ray drops the name changes, so Asterix, Obelisk, and Le Pen are in the subtitles and Snoopy, Charlie Brown and Hitler are not.
Great news! Now that that's confirmed, I'll happily upgrade.

jbeall

#177 Post by jbeall » Sat May 23, 2020 10:07 am

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#178 Post by swo17 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:55 pm

nicolas

#179 Post by nicolas » Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:12 pm

If Criterion / NexSpec have a good day, they can deliver the best UHD edition of the film.

I have both French and German UHDs and both suffer from a few issues which I’d love to see corrected here.

The French Studiocanal UHD is a typical encode for them. Strong in moments where no "excessive" brightness is present, such as skies etc. In other words, the typical encoding issues when the authoring house doesn’t particularly care.

The German UHD is better encoded in all areas but still looks unnatural in another kind of way which actually makes me prefer the French UHD. Also in highlights, the Plaion UHD rolls off the grain in a gradient way, meaning the grain just disappears shortly after the skies begin, for example. The effect is quite weird in motion and everything but organic.

I hope that the Criterion UHD addresses this despite their authoring house certainly doing a standard job as always. (Also, hopefully the actual master itself isn’t botched with inherent clipping, which we’ve seen from Studiocanal. I’m sure Criterion licensed this from SC as I don’t see them doing a complete new 4K restoration for themselves).