300 The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
tristan

300 The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou

#1 Post by tristan » Wed Nov 17, 2004 7:59 pm

The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou

Image [img]http://criterion_production.s3.amazonaws.com/release_images/968/300_box_348x490_w128.jpg[/img]

Internationally famous oceanographer Steve Zissou (Bill Murray) and his crew, Team Zissou, set sail on an expedition to hunt down the mysterious, elusive, possibly nonexistent Jaguar Shark that killed Zissou’s partner during the documentary filming of their latest adventure. They are joined on their voyage by a young airline copilot (Owen Wilson), a pregnant journalist (Cate Blanchett), and Zissou’s estranged wife (Anjelica Huston). Wes Anderson has assembled an all-star cast that also includes Willem Dafoe, Jeff Goldblum, Michael Gambon, Noah Taylor, Seu Jorge, and Bud Cort for this wildly original adventure-comedy.

Disc Features

DIRECTOR-APPROVED EDITION:

- New, restored 4K digital film transfer, approved by director Wes Anderson, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
- Audio commentary by Anderson and cowriter Noah Baumbach
- This Is an Adventure, a documentary chronicling the film’s production
- Mondo Monda, an Italian talk show featuring an interview with Anderson and Baumbach
- Interview with composer Mark Mothersbaugh
- Singer-actor Seu Jorge performing David Bowie songs in Portuguese
- Intern video journal by actor Matthew Gray Gubler
- Interviews with the cast and crew
- Deleted scenes
- Stills gallery
- Trailer
- PLUS: An insert featuring a cutaway view of The Belafonte, the ship from the film, Eric Anderson’s original illustrations, and a conversation between Wes and Eric conducted in 2005

Criterionforum.org user rating averages

Feature currently disabled

denti alligator

#2 Post by denti alligator » Wed Nov 17, 2004 8:17 pm

tristan wrote:Could this turn out to be the greatest film ever?
Based on these two descriptions and the trailers I've seen, I'd say "yes!."

Lino

#3 Post by Lino » Thu Nov 18, 2004 5:07 am

"Space Oddity" sung in Portuguese
What? Wes Anderson, you have my loving and dedicated admiration from now on! And I mean it! How cool is that? :D

Jeff

#4 Post by Jeff » Thu Nov 18, 2004 6:15 pm

All of the Bowie covers are performed by Seu George (from City of God). He plays a character named Pele in the film.

Zumpano

#5 Post by Zumpano » Thu Nov 18, 2004 7:22 pm

Bill Murray angry, backed by "Search and Destroy"
Are we talking Metallica? While some might consider this musical cue a bit spoiler-ish, I must say that my enthusiasm for this film is only increasing (NY and LA in 2 weeks?).

ben d banana

#6 Post by ben d banana » Thu Nov 18, 2004 7:23 pm

i would assume iggy & the stooges.

Zumpano

#7 Post by Zumpano » Thu Nov 18, 2004 7:49 pm

My bad (I was thinking Seek and Destroy).

Stooges = even better (and makes more sense).

Soundtrack comes out on Dec. 14th, Amazon has no tracklisting.

tristan

#8 Post by tristan » Fri Nov 19, 2004 11:08 am

Yep, it's the Stooges.

g30

#9 Post by g30 » Fri Nov 19, 2004 7:30 pm

Checking out imdb.com today and came across The Fantastic Mr. Fox to be directed by Wes Anderson. Based on the book by Roald Dahl, Anderson is once again co-writing with Noah Baumbach.

Interesting.

Jeff

#10 Post by Jeff » Sat Nov 20, 2004 5:12 pm

Track listing for TLA soundtrack:

1. Rebel Rebel - Seu Jorge
2. Starman - Seu Jorge
3. Rock N' Roll Suicide - Seu Jorge
4. Five Years - Seu Jorge
5. Queen Bitch - David Bowie
6. Life On Mars - David Bowie
7. Inner Space Music - Sven Libaek
8. Loquasto - Mark Mothersbaugh
9. Ping Island - Mark Mothersbaugh
10. Ping Demo - Mark Mothersbaugh
11. Ned Theme - Mark Mothersbaugh
12. Pirate Attack - Mark Mothersbaugh
13. Let Me Tell You About My Boat - Mark Mothersbaugh
14. Search And Destroy - Iggy & The Stooges
15. Way I Feel Inside, The - The Zombies
16. Here's To You - Joan Baez
17. La Nina De Puerta Oscura - Paco De Lucia
18. Gut Feeling - Devo
19. 30 Century Man - Scott Walker

Fletch F. Fletch

#11 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:09 am

Two more Quicktime clips from the movie are located here:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/touchston ... webisodes/

looks great!

Martha

#12 Post by Martha » Thu Nov 25, 2004 11:46 am

The first one killed me. Who knew Willem Dafoe would ever make me laugh out loud?

cdnchris
Site Admin

#13 Post by cdnchris » Thu Nov 25, 2004 12:14 pm

I'm just getting more and more excited about this movie. I'm trying not to get my expectations up too high because then I might be let down. But damn, I really REALLY want to see it. Damn NY and LA for getting it almost 3 weeks earlier! Waiting for Christmas this year is going to be hell.

zedz

#14 Post by zedz » Thu Nov 25, 2004 4:19 pm

Martha wrote:Who knew Willem Dafoe would ever make me laugh out loud?
Guess who hasn't seen Fishing with John?

Martha

#15 Post by Martha » Thu Nov 25, 2004 4:32 pm

zedz wrote:
Martha wrote:Who knew Willem Dafoe would ever make me laugh out loud?
Guess who hasn't seen Fishing with John?
Not his episode, true.

Fletch F. Fletch

#16 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Mon Nov 29, 2004 3:17 pm

There is a nice article on Wes and Life Aquatic at The New York Times website:

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/11/28/movie ... 8moer.html

The folks at Latino Review have a nice page with links to downloadable versions of the trailer, all the clips and a new featurette:

http://www.latinoreview.com/films_2004/ ... c/tla.html

denti alligator

#17 Post by denti alligator » Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:19 pm

I've got my tickets for tomorrow night. I'll report back soon!

cdnchris
Site Admin

#18 Post by cdnchris » Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:48 pm

Judging by some reactions (some of which are from IMDB, which I know isn't the best source, but still) this movie, like Anderson's others, will be the love it or hate it movie this year. I'm still pumped to see it but my wife also does. She hated Tenenbaums when we first saw it but it's kind of grown on her and she now sees the humour in it. She actually is looking forward to seeing this one (which means I get to see it in the theater, yea!) but I'm just afraid it won't be up her alley. And I hate watching a movie with someone when I know they're not enjoying it, whether it be her or with a friend. Oh well, we'll see.

And while I'm not a fan of Owen Gleiberman, he seemed a tad disappointed with Aquatic, giving it a B- after giving Tenenbaums and Rushmore an A each.

Steven H

#19 Post by Steven H » Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:21 pm

I thought that Schwarzbaum gave those two As? I wouldn't trust Lieberman's reviews if my life depended on it. As Bart Simpson once said about the guy, "he's such a bitch!"

cdnchris
Site Admin

#20 Post by cdnchris » Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:29 pm

harri wrote:I thought that Schwarzbaum gave those two As? I wouldn't trust Lieberman's reviews if my life depended on it. As Bart Simpson once said about the guy, "he's such a bitch!"
Actually, you're right, my bad. I get the reviewers mixed up, though I trust Schwarzbaum more than Owen.

Steven H

#21 Post by Steven H » Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:43 pm

A Personal Note:

I can credit Schwarzbaum for getting me interested in foreign films (about a decade ago, I think), though I forget what review it was, I was a pretty avid EW reader in my teenage years. Interesting that I misspelled Glieberman's name as Lieberman, as long as I've known how to write I consistently forget to put the first letters on words. I wonder if there's a name for that type of thing (maybe it's a form of autism or dyslexia? maybe I was dropped on something really hard when I was a baby).

analoguezombie

#22 Post by analoguezombie » Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:45 am

cdnchris wrote:Judging by some reactions (some of which are from IMDB, which I know isn't the best source, but still) this movie, like Anderson's others, will be the love it or hate it movie this year. I'm still pumped to see it but my wife also does. She hated Tenenbaums when we first saw it but it's kind of grown on her and she now sees the humour in it. She actually is looking forward to seeing this one (which means I get to see it in the theater, yea!) but I'm just afraid it won't be up her alley. And I hate watching a movie with someone when I know they're not enjoying it, whether it be her or with a friend. Oh well, we'll see.

And while I'm not a fan of Owen Gleiberman, he seemed a tad disappointed with Aquatic, giving it a B- after giving Tenenbaums and Rushmore an A each.
c'mon man, you don't have to take your lady to EVERY movie you see. ;)

look we all know what this movie will be before we see it: it's a continuation of the style and themes of RUshmore and Royal Tenenbaums with little or no progression, which is too bad. It'll be funny and good, and entertaining, but no real ground will be broken. Furthermore since Anderson wrote this one on his own, he'll still be testing his 'sea-legs' if you will. the dialogue and story development will be a bit below the level of his previous two films b/c he's going it alone.

In the end it's more of the same, which isn't necessarily bad, but we'd love to see Anderson continue to develop instead of stagnating.

he needs to take a page from the other Anderson's book and make his own 'Punch Drunk Love', a movie that will allow him to experiment in new directions and free him from the conmventions he has created for himself.
anyway that's my pre-watch opinion.

Fletch F. Fletch

#23 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:54 am

analoguezombie wrote:look we all know what this movie will be before we see it: it's a continuation of the style and themes of RUshmore and Royal Tenenbaums with little or no progression, which is too bad. It'll be funny and good, and entertaining, but no real ground will be broken. Furthermore since Anderson wrote this one on his own, he'll still be testing his 'sea-legs' if you will.
Not true. He co-wrote the film with Noah Baumbach.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#24 Post by cdnchris » Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:47 am

analoguezombie wrote:c'mon man, you don't have to take your lady to EVERY movie you see. ;)
I don't? But according to her I do. :? Oh man, I don't know what to think anymore, this thinking outside the box is way too much for me.

Actually I could go out to the movies if I wanted on my own, she doesn't care (or at least she says so), but I'd feel guilty. We live in a small town with dick-all in it and I have to drive an hour to work so am gone pretty much all day. She's an American and JUST got her residency here in Canada, but still hasn't been able to find a job because we live in a small town with dick-all. So she sits at home all day with nothing to do and no one to hang out with because everyone she knows works. I'd feel awful if I took off to see a movie without her, even if she didn't want to see it, because she unfortunately doesn't get out often and it really bugs her. Either I'm a nice guy or I'm whipped and can't admit it :)

As for Aquatic, I know it will be more of the same. I thought that when I saw the ad and according to some of the reviews (some favourable, some not) it is more of the same. And while I always felt directors should play around with their style, I like Anderson's fantasy touches, cinematography and pacing. I wouldn't mind seeing him venture out, but I don't mind another round of the same. And I'd probably be disappointed if it wasn't done in the same way, since the subject matter looks to suit his style. I'm actually prepared not to like it as much as Rushmore or Tenenbaums, maybe a lot less, but I'm sure (or at least hoping) I'll enjoy it.

Poncho Punch

#25 Post by Poncho Punch » Fri Dec 10, 2004 3:19 pm

cdnchris wrote:Either I'm a nice guy or I'm whipped and can't admit it :)
I've recently discovered that there is, in fact, no difference between the two.