483 Repulsion

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
black&huge

Re: 483 Repulsion

#76 Post by black&huge » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:20 am

I sorta want to pull the trigger on this during the current B&N sale. I've seen the film many times but seeing as how this release is a bit over 10 years old how does the picture quality/transfer hold up? Anyone think this may undergo a new transfer soonish or not necessary?

A Tempted Christ

#77 Post by A Tempted Christ » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:34 pm

black&huge wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:20 am
I sorta want to pull the trigger on this during the current B&N sale. I've seen the film many times but seeing as how this release is a bit over 10 years old how does the picture quality/transfer hold up? Anyone think this may undergo a new transfer soonish or not necessary?
It looked stunning then and it still does now. It's actually one of the best Criterion releases from back in the day. You can check the review on this site, or the DVDBeaver comparison between this BR and previous DVDs. They all tell you the same.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#78 Post by swo17 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:36 pm

Not to mention, it's been very rare for Criterion to reissue its BD editions (only Monterey Pop and Playtime so far?)

A Tempted Christ

#79 Post by A Tempted Christ » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:04 pm

Correct. Actually Playtime was featured on the Tati box set (similar to the new restorations of The Seventh Seal and Autumn Sonata being featured on the Bergman box set), making Monterey Pop the only Criterion release to be reissued.

black&huge

#80 Post by black&huge » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:33 pm

Thank you Tempted Christ and Swo. Long story short I've been away from collecting for a long 8 year or so stretch so this year I finally decided to catchup and pick off titles I've wanted to own over the years as well as ones I never got on blu. Big difference now is that I do cross reference and check technical reviews (mainy here and beaver) before buying and I wanted some of this forum's opinions before making a final decision :D

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#81 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:56 am

Going through Cahiers' 1964 survey of the French film industry, in which modern French directors were asked seven questions ranging from future plans to their optimism regarding the direction the film industry was going (with the funniest response coming from Godard on that last one, of course: "I look forward to the end of cinema with optimism"), I thought Polanski had the best response by refusing to answer any of the seven questions and instead submitting only the following, which of course Cahiers happily printed (translation mine):
The only thing I can tell you about French film production is that in two years, I couldn't make the movie I just finished in England.
All the best.
Roman Polanski