551, 666, 838 Trilogía de Guillermo del Toro

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
giovannii84

Re: 666 The Devil's Backbone

#151 Post by giovannii84 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:00 am

I was wondering if the selected on-screen presentation of thumbnails are the same as what is shown the 12 minute featurette, or are there more thumbnails in the onscreen version?

Big Ben

Forthcoming: Pan's Labyrinth

#152 Post by Big Ben » Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:04 pm

Guillermo del Toro tweeted that something for the 10th Anniversary of Pan's Labyrinth was happening soon. Possible Criterion release?

ianungstad

#153 Post by ianungstad » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:47 pm

With credit to the bluray.com forums for the heads up; Guillermo Del Toro confirmed on twitter that Criterion is releasing Pan's Labyrinth and the disc is currently in production.

John Doe

#154 Post by John Doe » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:02 pm

ianungstad wrote:With credit to the bluray.com forums for the heads up; Guillermo Del Toro confirmed on twitter that Criterion is releasing Pan's Labyrinth and the disc is currently in production.
Doug Jones confirmed it, not Del Toro.

Luke M

#155 Post by Luke M » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:55 pm

Del Toro tweeted the cover art.

Minkin

Re: Forthcoming: Pan's Labyrinth

#156 Post by Minkin » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:19 pm

The only extra I'm hoping for - is a part two of the Bleak House tour (which was supposed to be on Devil's Backbone, but was dropped for some reason). I think somewhere Del Toro confirmed a part two for Pan's Labyrinth (he's since added the rain room apparently).

-And watch: now that this has been 100% confirmed, it will be the next newsletter clue.

FrauBlucher

#157 Post by FrauBlucher » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:17 pm

Yeah, that wouldn't surprise me. They have repeated clues a lot this year.

FrauBlucher

#158 Post by FrauBlucher » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:45 am

Michael wrote:Absolutely, souvenir. I plan to watch this film again soon. Only when I'm in the right mood because it's really a devastating film. I can't believe I unfairly attacked Pan's. I think I was also looking for other excuses to pan Pan's when I was so pissed off at Del Toro for what he did to the girl in the end. Shame on me.
I felt the exact same way after seeing this when it came out. I saw it last night for the first time since. My view has totally changed. I really focused on the narrative, payed less attention to the special effects and watched it as an allegory. The prologue really sets the tone for what transpires, especially the ending, which probably didn't register for my first viewing.

I look forward to seeing what supplements will be on the forthcoming bluray. It would be nice to have some kind of scholarly perspective and I'd like to see Criterion port over the Charlie Rose segment with Del Toro, Cuarón and Iñárritu.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Trilogía de Guillermo del Toro

#159 Post by swo17 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:17 pm

Pan's Labyrinth coming October 11th, in a collector's set or solo

Ribs

#160 Post by Ribs » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:18 pm

Weirdly, the MSRP for the bundle set is back to $100 after the Stillman set was $80.

Also the trilogy comes with a hardback book collating the previous written materials which is a pretty neat prize for someone like me who's not gotten any of them yet.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#161 Post by tenia » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:31 pm

The Stillman set is a simple bundle. Here it's a Collector Deluxe set !
What I'm more surprised is that there will be a 5.1 AND a 7.1 track. Why not simply offer the 7.1 one ? It seems like it's exclusive to Criterion anyway so it might be Del Toro approved too.

McNulty

#162 Post by McNulty » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:37 pm

tenia wrote:The Stillman set is a simple bundle. Here it's a Collector Deluxe set !
The Gregory/Wallace box is similarly a 'bundle' set, but it's priced the same as the Del Toro.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#163 Post by cdnchris » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:40 pm

I know those three Del Toro films usually get lumped together as a trilogy but I don't know I get it. I get Pan's and Devil being related, but what's the argument for Cronos?

Ribs

#164 Post by Ribs » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:40 pm

McNulty wrote:
tenia wrote:The Stillman set is a simple bundle. Here it's a Collector Deluxe set !
The Gregory/Wallace box is similarly a 'bundle' set, but it's priced the same as the Del Toro.
Going by the description for this claiming the box will have additional illustrations, it seems likely this will be in all-new packaging more like the Road Trilogy or Three Colors where it's all digipaks as opposed to the bundle of Amarays of the previous bundle. That would maybe explain the extra cost (we theorized at the time the Stillman bundle was so priced due to being 2/3 out beforehand unlike the Shawn/Gregory set)

djproject

Re: 838 Pan's Labyrinth

#165 Post by djproject » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:57 pm

Looks like they did not port over the Charlie Rose episode with "the three amigos" found in the New Line DVD of Pan's Labyrinth. It would have been nice but the supplement list looks nice.

knives

Re: Trilogía de Guillermo del Toro

#166 Post by knives » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:20 pm

cdnchris wrote:I know those three Del Toro films usually get lumped together as a trilogy but I don't know I get it. I get Pan's and Devil being related, but what's the argument for Cronos?
Being Spanish language.

Luke M

Re: 551, 666, 838 Trilogía de Guillermo del Toro

#167 Post by Luke M » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:34 pm

I only own Cronos so I'm going to try and sell it and pick up this set. The book sounds great.

Minkin

#168 Post by Minkin » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:50 pm

Criterion further stepping into the deluxe packaging territory - and forcing you to repurchase titles in the process!

I suppose I don't mind though and will very likely pick up the boxset for the book alone. I infer that it will be substantially more than the booklet content of the individual discs?

I'm also rather annoyed to see that a part two of the Bleak House tour isn't going to ever be a thing. To be fair though, I think Del Toro did turn the planned part two into a book: Guillermo del Toro's Cabinet of Curiosities (which I also own, and its great).

Ribs

#169 Post by Ribs » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:57 pm

No, it's going to be the essays from the two earlier booklets, plus the new essay for Pan's Labyrinth. The only added feature is the introduction by Neil Gaiman. It shouldn't be THAT much more (plus it'll probably be put on Criterion's website as per usual).

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#170 Post by tenia » Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:41 am

I just read on blu-ray.com Criterion thread :
Del Toro tweeted the Collector set is a limited edition. I believe it would be a first for Criterion to have a given print size for a release. It also means that as for now, we dont know if a regular BD trilogy set would replace it or if one would get simply stuck with the individual releases.
Another thing : Criterion usually offers to buy separately the covers or the booklets for $5 apiece (for instance if yours are damaged). I'm wondering if this could be a possibility for people who already bought Devil and Cronos to get their hands on the book.
Finally, I have to say : I dont especially like to miss on additional material (even if it's only a book) because I supported the individual releases straight from the start. It reminds me of what happened with Breaking Bad or other TV shows whose Complete Series set turned out to have exclusive materials the individual releases didnt have. Frustrating.

lacritfan
Life is one big kevyip

#171 Post by lacritfan » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:45 pm

If you're in Los Angeles August 1 - November 27 - Guillermo del Toro: At Home with Monsters at LACMA.
Also a book signing.

Ribs

#172 Post by Ribs » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:01 pm

According to blu-ray.com, Mulvaney has said the box and book will be available to order direct from Criterion through Paypal if you have the individual releases.
"Thanks for writing! The Blu-ray release for the Guillermo del Toro box
set has different cover art than the DVD set. The Blu-ray set features
art by Vania Zouravliov, and will be set up like a box that opens up
into separate pages (sleeves) that will have the discs themselves
inside. There will also be a hard bound book inside this Blu-ray box
set. The DVD features art by Guy Davis and will have an outer box that
the plastic cases for each separate movie will fit into. The DVD box
is more like what the most recent A Whit Stillman Trilogy and André
Gregory and Wallace Shawn box sets look like. The booklets for the DVD
set will be inside each separate title case. The content on the discs
between the DVD and Blu-ray sets will be the same.

The packaging is still in production, and as soon as we receive it at
the office we'll be putting examples up on the website. I hope this is
helpful! Please let me know if you have additional questions"

hanshotfirst1138

#173 Post by hanshotfirst1138 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:17 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:I look forward to seeing what supplements will be on the forthcoming bluray. It would be nice to have some kind of scholarly perspective and I'd like to see Criterion port over the Charlie Rose segment with Del Toro, Cuarón and Iñárritu.
I wonder why it's not on there? Maybe a legal issue? I'd love to get rid of my old two-disc DVD.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#174 Post by cdnchris » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:07 pm

The release of Pan's Labyrinth and the box set have been moved from Oct 11th to Oct 18th. Boyhood is moving from the 18th to the 11th.

cpetrizzi

#175 Post by cpetrizzi » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:50 pm

I'm contemplating purchasing both the bluray and dvd box sets to cover all possible material. (I've already preordered the bluray.)

Anyone else doing the same?