1163 Michael Haneke: Trilogy

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1 Post by swo17 » Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:11 pm

Michael Haneke: Trilogy

One of contemporary cinema's most original, provocative, and uncompromising filmmakers, Austrian auteur Michael Haneke dares viewers to stare into the void of modern existence. With his first three theatrical features, The Seventh Continent, Benny's Video, and 71 Fragments of a Chronology of Chance—a trilogy depicting a coldly bureaucratic society in which genuine human relationships have been supplanted by a deep-seated collective malaise—Haneke established the rigorous visual style and unsettling themes that would recur throughout his work. Exploring the relationships among consumerism, violence, mass media, and contemporary alienation, these brilliant, relentlessly probing films open up profound questions about the world in which we live while refusing the false comfort of easy answers.

The Seventh Continent

The day-to-day routines of a seemingly ordinary Austrian family (Birgit Doll, Dieter Berner, and Leni Tanzer) begin to take on a sinister complexion in Michael Haneke's chilling portrait of bourgeois anomie giving way to shocking self-destruction. Inspired by a true story, the director's first theatrical feature finds him fully in command of his style, observing with rigorous, clinical detachment the spiritual emptiness at the heart of consumer culture—and the horror that lurks beneath its placid surfaces. The Seventh Continent builds to an annihilating encounter with the televisual void that powerfully synthesizes Haneke's ideas about the link between violence and our culture of manufactured emotion.

Benny's Video

Michael Haneke turns the unflinching gaze of the camera back on itself in this provocative, profoundly disturbing study of emotional disconnection in the age of mass-media saturation. Benny (a frighteningly affectless Arno Frisch), the teenage son of wealthy, disengaged parents (Angela Winkler and Ulrich Mühe), finds release in the world of violent videos—an obsession that leads him to create his own monstrous work of real-life horror. Layering screens within screens and digital frames within the filmic frame, Benny's Video is a coolly postmodern, metacinematic labyrinth in which the boundaries between actual and mediated violence become terrifyingly indistinguishable.

71 Fragments of a Chronology of Chance

The simultaneously random and interconnected nature of modern existence comes into harrowing focus in the despairing final installment of Michael Haneke's trilogy. Seventy-one intricate, puzzlelike scenes survey the routines of a handful of seemingly unrelated people—including an undocumented Romanian boy (Gabriel Cosmin Urdes) living on the streets of Vienna, a couple (Anne Bennent and Udo Samel) who are desperate to adopt a child, and a college student (Lukas Miko) on the edge—whose stories collide in a devastating encounter at a bank. The omnipresent drone of television news broadcasts in 71 Fragments of a Chronology of Chance underscores Haneke's vision of a numb, dehumanizing world in which emotional estrangement can be punctured only by the shock of sudden violence.

DIRECTOR-APPROVED THREE-BLU-RAY SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES

• High-definition digital masters, supervised by director Michael Haneke, with uncompressed monaural soundtracks
• New interview with actor Arno Frisch
• New interview with film historian Alexander Horwath
• Interviews from 2005 with Haneke
• Documentary about Haneke's career featuring interviews with the director and actors Juliette Binoche, Isabelle Huppert, and Jean-Louis Trintignant
• Deleted scenes from Benny's Video
• Trailers
• New English subtitle translations
• PLUS: An essay by novelist John Wray

Matt

Re: 1163 Michael Haneke: Trilogy

#2 Post by Matt » Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:30 pm

Gifting this to all my family members for Christmas! Just kidding. I hate them so they’re all getting Severin’s Ray Dennis Steckler box.

More seriously, I need to find one or two people to split this with. I only want The Seventh Continent. No plans ever to watch Benny’s Video a second time.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#3 Post by swo17 » Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:33 pm

There aren't individual spines so watch it come in a single 3-disc Scanavo

therewillbeblus

#4 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:39 pm

Interesting to get this before Caché... I hate the first two and never saw 71 Fragments of a Chronology of Chance, though it sounds somewhat promising as a precursor to Code Unknown's structure? I thought I had completed Haneke's filmography but must've skipped over it! Anyone have kind words for that film?

Magic Hate Ball

#5 Post by Magic Hate Ball » Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:49 pm

Thrilled about this, as I was just watching Continent on the channel last night and wondering if it was ever going to get a physical release. Haven’t seen Fragments yet but I loved Benny’s Video as well, though I’d put Continent above it, and would even call it a masterpiece. It’s a dark, unpleasant work, and watching it is kind of like poking a tooth abscess just to feel a relative lack of pain afterwards, but it’s also extremely well-written and a great example of Haneke’s powers as a visual stylist. My biggest gripe is that the subtitles fumble one of the film’s best lines, when Anna says something like “we’re going out (aus)” and then catches herself and says “to Australia”, but I’m not sure how that could be effectively translated. Birgit Doll’s performance is also a showstopper.

dda1996a

#6 Post by dda1996a » Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:50 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:39 pm
Interesting to get this before Caché... I hate the first two and never saw 71 Fragments of a Chronology of Chance, though it sounds somewhat promising as a precursor to Code Unknown's structure? I thought I had completed Haneke's filmography but must've skipped over it! Anyone have kind words for that film?
Not the biggest fan of Benny, but I think Seventh Continent is a downright masterpiece and the best thing Haneke has done, and I love 71 Fragments as well, which yes, has many things similar to the also terrific Code Unknown.
Seventh Continent is perhaps the closes cinema will ever get to adapt a novel by Georges Perec (here thinking of the harrowing Things: Stories of the Sixties), as done by a very Bressonian film style.

FrauBlucher

#7 Post by FrauBlucher » Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:58 pm

I like both Benny and Seventh Continent. I have not seen 71 Fragments.Yet! Does this make all the former Kino Haneke films released by CC now?
Last edited by FrauBlucher on Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beamish14

#8 Post by beamish14 » Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:34 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:58 pm
I like both Benny and Seventh Continent. I have not since 71 Fragments.Yet! Does this make all the former Kino Haneke films released by CC now?
Not The Castle

A box of just his TV work would be fantastic, too

colinr0380

#9 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:29 pm

I would agree that 71 Fragments of a Chronology of Chance is interesting seen as the earlier Austrian companion piece to the similarly fractured but widened out to be an internationalist and multi-cultural critique, French-set Code Unknown. And would certainly second a set of the TV work, which would be a major coup for any label that could release such a thing.

Just so that it is noted in this thread, this is the set of films that has also been referred to as the "Glaciation Trilogy". Here's Mark Kermode's introduction to Benny's Video on its UK television premiere on Film4 back in 2012. It is quite amusing to hear Kermode emphasising that "its harshness definitely has a purpose" at the end of that introduction for that film, since he was one of the major voices saying how unnecessary and hectoring he felt that the original Funny Games was at the time of its release (and doubly so when the remake came out).
Last edited by colinr0380 on Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beamish14

#10 Post by beamish14 » Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:59 pm

I would have loved to have seen interviews with the principal cast of Seventh Continent, none of whom appeared in many other films.

The cinematography in that film is probably the most absolutely beautiful in Haneke’s catalog. An amazingly well-made work

therewillbeblus

#11 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:23 pm

colinr0380 wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:29 pm
I would agree that 71 Fragments of a Chronology of Chance is interesting seen as the earlier Austrian companion piece to the similarly fractured but widened out to be an internationalist and multi-cultural critique, French-set Code Unknown.
It looks like my library has a copy of the R1 DVD so I'll check it out- Code Unknown is my favorite Haneke so I have hope, plus I more-or-less like everything he's done after this series (not crazy about Time of the Wolf or Happy End, but I don't outright dislike them either) so the jury's out on if this film or the next served as the focal jump!

knives

#12 Post by knives » Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:36 pm

71 is really good. The only one from this set I don’t like is Benny’s Video which plays as such lazy shock to me.

zedz

#13 Post by zedz » Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:50 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:39 pm
I think it's the best film in this box, but I generally find Haneke wildly inconsistent and have an eccentric appreciation of his work.

FrauBlucher

#14 Post by FrauBlucher » Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:18 pm

I just assumed all the pre-Cache films would get released first being that they swooped in and took them away from Kino. Hopefully, Cache is not far behind

edit: I forgot there is Time of the Wolf. But this wasn't part of the Kino box. Not sure who has the rights

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#15 Post by swo17 » Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:26 pm

Strand just barely put it out on Blu-ray

mikeyzjames

#16 Post by mikeyzjames » Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:17 pm

My pedantic response to this release is that it is certainly The Glaciation Trilogy, and should be titled as such. Still, very happy to get these on blu. It has been 15 years since I've watched them, but, for my money, there was no real need for him to make any other movies after these; they sum up the entire project.

colinr0380

#17 Post by colinr0380 » Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:57 am

I sometimes consider Benny’s Video (and the tone and texture underlying all of the Glaciation Trilogy in some ways) as being an interesting companion piece to Bret Easton Ellis’s novel of American Psycho, which was released around the same time. The fetishisation force of, particularly video recording technology, as a kind of distancing barrier that both allows every moment of an action to be seen, pored over and recorded in explicit detail but at the same time on subsequent playback without the visceral immediacy of actually being there and performing the actions. What’s done is done and what is left, is the imagery. The technology shows us more than we could ever expect (or needed, or arguably should be allowed) to see, whilst simultaneously putting up an empathetic barrier towards actually having to get one’s hands dirty oneself. We are given this pile of imagery and left to make of it what we will, and get out of it what we wish to, or (maybe even subconsciously) put of ourselves into it.

This post might get into some really uncomfortable areas, and I will try to walk the tightrope between providing some context whilst not being too detailed, but I want to preface the following with the warning to absolutely not do anything to Google or look into some of the subjects I might talk about below (Also mods, feel free and I would completely understand if you wished to amend or remove this post if it goes past the guidelines for the forum for content that is allowed to be discussed). Whilst I feel that it is good to know what is out there, and that forewarned is forearmed in case you might come across references to such material out in the wild, I would strongly warn away from watching any material relating to real life violence and death. Not only because it is morally questionable and disrespectful to the victim of violence for their fate to be reduced to the status of a curio to be gawked over (or worse put on as a staged spectacle) , but also because of the psychological damage that it can inflict on a viewer who witnesses such material. There is very little fictional material, no matter how violent, that I would dissuade people away from if they wish to view it, simply because it is fictional, but real life carnage is another matter. I can only describe it as soul-scarring and no amount of natural and understandable human curiosity about such material is worth seeing things that you will never be able to un-see.

That is really the theme of Benny’s Video, of the enquiry into which came first. Is it the technology creating the sociopathic empathy-lacking main character? Or (as with American Psycho's main character constantly using the need to "go and return some videotapes" as his conversation ending gambit. And Haneke’s later characters in Funny Games and the daughter in Happy End) was the bourgeoisie, affectless, somewhat sterile family dynamics and – in this case - consumer goods focused environment almost tailor made to create someone who feels a numb sense of emotion or affection towards the people around them, and the technology provides a glimpse into a more directly visceral world of death and killing which is different from the somewhat cushioned environment that the character otherwise inhabits. Which gets filtered through the technology that allows that shocking imagery to be manipulated, rewound and replayed or step-framed through for maximum savouring of the fleeting moment that was otherwise irreversibly devastating, with horrific consequences for actual beings in reality.

Does seeing such imagery numb a viewer into eventually carrying out such actions themselves, to sort of bring the visceral reality of death out of the screen and into their sterile life, as with the main character in Benny’s Video? In some ways I think there has to be something already deeply wrong with a person to begin with to make that extra leap into actualising something they see on screen into their own lived experience (If pressed I suppose that I would more agree with the line in the first Scream film, albeit ironically stated by the killer themselves, that “movies don’t create psychos; movies make psychos more creative”)

Did the technology create the societal reality, or did the technology come about as an outgrowth from the societal reality that required it as the logical next step? It is probably a situation where it is coming a little from both forces, each influencing the other in a feedback loop.

Catering for the morbid fascination and commemoration of death is nothing new. This is a situation that has been there since recordable media was invented. There are those posed death photos of hunters or of the recently deceased as noted in a film like Wisconsin Death Trip. Or viscerally haunting crime scene photographs such as of the victims of Jack the Ripper or the Black Dahlia. With film most notoriously there was the mondo film genre in the 1960s (epitomised by the films of Jacopetti and Prosperi) that itself escalated into something less ethnographically veneered and more nakedly exploitational in the Faces of Death series in the 1970s.

Benny’s Video in some ways occupies an interesting point in our technological development and taps into the video age, where the power to obtain, create and manipulate imagery is becoming democratised through accessibility, though still rather insular and privately circulated, if at all, and only for those with the money (or the wealthy parents) to afford the technology to use in the creation. With the advent of the internet the ability to obtain, create and manipulate imagery aspects were only enhanced, plus to that was added the key extra element of democratising distribution as well as production so everyone began to have a voice and a platform to use for whatever purpose they saw fit.

With that democratisation the moral questions moved from gatekeepers of the medium (who would themselves occasionally ‘overstep their bounds’ and have to be held in check by overarching state powers such as censors) to the users themselves. Morality went from being Catholic to having its Protestant Reformation, if you like! And inevitably there will be those who abuse that privilege, and leave us with a legacy of their horrific criminal acts captured on film, such as the one carried out by Luka Magnotta.

With the internet the issues underpinning Benny’s Video have only multiplied out further in an exponential manner. There is always the danger on the fringes of video sharing sites of being exposed to gore clips or some dumb wannabe-shocking edgelords editing in pop up shocks of Ronnie McNutt's livestreamed shotgun suicide or the various notorious livestreamed attacks into the middle of seemingly benign at first videos to catch the unwary off guard. People who have taken the most extreme and/or charged imagery and turned actual death into a meme for a reaction from their viewers. Is that being jaded or opportunistic? Or just cruel and unempathetic to both the people in the footage they are using and those that they then go on to inflict their footage upon?

Also in a very closely entwined sense politics and real-life gore imagery have always gone hand in hand in a symbiotic content creation way. From the ethnographic mondo films of the 1960s trying to explain the upheavals on the African continent post-independence through a retreating colonial lens up to something like the ISIS staged executions and the livestreamed Christchurch shooting, there is often a reason why someone is doing the filming, and it is usually to get at some sort of audience. A statement, a warning, an attempt to strike fear in those who witness their actions? Always it will be the very definition of the word ‘exploitation’. And there is always a new conflict somewhere to add more grist to the mill and keep the battlegrounds fresh: from the mass graves of Yugoslavia and Chechnya, through the disturbingly professionally filmed ISIS executions and South American cartel videos to now the trickle of videos coming out of the Ukraine conflict, there will be new atrocity creators out there, on a 'professional' rather than 'amateur' level, feeding their footage onto the internet, just as they went onto underground mix tapes in the years before online connectivity.

In some ways I think that is what most connects back to Haneke’s use of such imagery in Benny’s Video with the more sociopolitically pointed use of the CCTV footage in Cache or the war photographs in Code Unknown, where perhaps there is a statement or equation (or warning) being implied that a disaffected and amoral youth with a video camera and looking for a subject in their bedroom can somewhat easily morph into the war photographer or television journo looking for the best angle on a story rather than the most decent angle on it, and also serve as an early symptom for a wider societal malaise. Or at least represent as much of a symbol as the generation of kids in The White Ribbon were implied to become, growing up to adulthood during the 1930s to then apply their reasonings out on a far wider scale.
Last edited by colinr0380 on Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr Sausage

#18 Post by Mr Sausage » Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:05 pm

colinr0380 wrote:
Does seeing such imagery numb a viewer into eventually carrying out such actions themselves, to sort of bring the visceral reality of death out of the screen and into their sterile life, as with the main character in Benny’s Video? In some ways I think there has to be something already deeply wrong with a person to begin with to make that extra leap into actualising something they see on screen into their own lived experience (If pressed I suppose that I would more agree with the line in the first Scream film, albeit ironically stated by the killer themselves, that “movies don’t create psychos; movies make psychos more creative”)
Yeah. Media actually has a really tough time influencing human behaviour. You need look no further than advertising. The industry spends billions of dollars annually trying to figure out how to influence human behaviour, and nothing is a guarantee.

What lies behind the idea that video games create school shooters, hidden messages in heavy metal records compel kids to commit suicide, and even behind paranoid movies like They Live and The Parallax View, is the idea that media is inherently corrupting. That it can strip away ordinary humanity and replace it with ugliness. That it has a fundamental capacity to change our behaviour for the worse. It also underpins most censorship movements.

What media is better at doing, tho’, is influencing attitudes. It can’t create sociopathic killers, but it can make people, say, inured to and accepting of atrocity. If you spend enough time watching callous media you can begin to hold callous ideas yourself. But then the reverse is also true.

I haven’t seen Benny’s Video, but the media critique’s I’ve seen Haneke make elsewhere strike me as the pearl-clutching variety masked by cynical scorn.

therewillbeblus

#19 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:27 pm

Mr Sausage, that's the most impressively succinct and accurate summarization of the influence of media on behavior I've had the pleasure to read. Thanks for taking time from your vacation to post it

Magic Hate Ball

#20 Post by Magic Hate Ball » Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:15 pm

Haneke obviously has a fascination with the impact of media, but to me that feels a logical means to making movies that are pretty specifically about isolation and consumerism. I could be wrong, as I'm not familiar with his own perspectives (except that he hates violence and wants to bother people about it), but the overall point of his ouvre doesn't come across as a criticism of media as a creator of violence, but merely as a tool that exacerbates the effects of being socially and spiritually secluded by wealth. It's notable that the violence that occurs is usually either cannibalistic (face-eating leopards) or top-down.

The Seventh Continent's focus on pure consumerism also makes it feel like a rosetta stone in how it portrays the abyss over which the characters in his other films live. It's like if Winnie in Happy Days used the gun.

therewillbeblus

#21 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:34 pm

Magic Hate Ball wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:15 pm
The Seventh Continent's focus on pure consumerism also makes it feel like a rosetta stone in how it portrays the abyss over which the characters in his other films live
It's been a while since I've seen the film, but wouldn't that fit within Mr Sausage's explanation that media (or socially-constructed ideas of meaning) influences this family into adopting a more helpless and depressed collective mindset? Surely family systems theory and other conditioning theories play into that as well in how it's exacerbated, as to put all the horrors in the denouement onto one target would be unfair

yoshimori

#22 Post by yoshimori » Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:38 pm

Sorry to interrupt the thoughts MHB just expressed, but
Mr Sausage, with concurrence from therewillbeblus wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:05 pm
Yeah. Media actually has a really tough time influencing human behaviour.
If y'all mean that advertisers can't compel everyone to do their very specific bidding, of course you're right, but no one believes otherwise, right? And I think I'm not feeling the force of the distinction Mr Sausage seems to want to make between "influencing behavior" and "corrupting", since that corruption can and regularly does lead to behavior. I can't be the only person ever who's seen an ad for some yummy-looking comestible and thought yah that looks pretty good and then next time I was in a position to purchase it did. Or maybe there's someone here who accidentally once watched a few seconds of a porn video, saw something he or she never imagined might be viable, and then, when the opportunity presented itself, tried it?

Surely it's a matter of degree, of numbers - media influences/corrupts thinking more often than it does behavior. If that's all y'all're saying, I agree. I just want to remind whoever's reading, apropos Haneke, that media does regularly influence behavior.

Mr Sausage

#23 Post by Mr Sausage » Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:16 pm

yoshimori wrote:Sorry to interrupt the thoughts MHB just expressed, but
Mr Sausage, with concurrence from therewillbeblus wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:05 pm
Yeah. Media actually has a really tough time influencing human behaviour.
If y'all mean that advertisers can't compel everyone to do their very specific bidding, of course you're right, but no one believes otherwise, right? And I think I'm not feeling the force of the distinction Mr Sausage seems to want to make between "influencing behavior" and "corrupting", since that corruption can and regularly does lead to behavior. I can't be the only person ever who's seen an ad for some yummy-looking comestible and thought yah that looks pretty good and then next time I was in a position to purchase it did. Or maybe there's someone here who accidentally once watched a few seconds of a porn video, saw something he or she never imagined might be viable, and then, when the opportunity presented itself, tried it?

Surely it's a matter of degree, of numbers - media influences/corrupts thinking more often than it does behavior. If that's all y'all're saying, I agree. I just want to remind whoever's reading, apropos Haneke, that media does regularly influence behavior.
You see far more ads than you ever end up altering your behaviour for, right? The point being: no advertising agency has ever found the secret to compelling human behaviour on the level that media critics implicitly argue for when they claim this or that media will make society more violent or whatever. Responding to this or that commercial amidst a sea of commercials passing before your eyes is evidence of nothing. The fact is ad agencies and departments are still in search of the magic code that’ll compel us all zombie-like to buy their product whether we’re into it or not. So it’s worth asking yourself: if video games are mind altering enough to turn normal people into sociopathic killers, as extreme a modification of behaviour as is possible, don’t you think advertisers would’ve been taking advantage of that by now? That we’d all be buying shit we don’t like or want, compulsively, for reasons we can’t even comprehend? Media just isn‘t great at altering human behaviour in that way.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#24 Post by domino harvey » Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:44 pm

I think a better argument for media having a tangible impact in real life is the preponderance of real life sex acts predominately influenced/learned by online pornography. I’ll spare the specifics but if you know anyone under 30 well enough to discuss or firsthand experience this, you’ll recognize the sea change one form of media has created in the behaviors of an entire generation

I also don’t know why you assume the only takeaway from media consumption and subsequent influence is negative. Animal Crossing: New Horizons 100% helped me get a handle on my real life long term finances through using many of the game’s best practices— it influenced my behaviors, I was there when it happened! I doubt I’m special

Mr Sausage

#25 Post by Mr Sausage » Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:49 pm

People mimicking porn during sex is like real 1920s gangsters modeling themselves on Cagney and Raft. There’s a feedback loop happening.

This isn’t an argument between media having no influence and media being responsible for Columbine. Media has a large influence, but it isn’t very good at getting people to perform certain specific actions or behaviours. It doesn’t program us in that way. Porn is a strange one in that there is really no competing influence in terms of learning how to have sex. But porn does not create the human sex drive. Porn isn’t turning non-sexual adults into sexual adults. It’s influencing our attitudes towards something we already have a biological drive towards. It influences our idea of what sex is and how it ought to look. That might manifest in behaviour, but it doesn’t quite create behaviour in the way I’m talking about. Porn might for example make people less shocked or appalled at the idea of incest, but I highly doubt the prevalence of incest in society had grown with the instance of the same in porn. The prevalence of incest porn has not made a generation of people who like to commit incest, tho’ it may have made a generation of people who are ok with watching incest porn.