1035 Come and See

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
FrauBlucher

1035 Come and See

#1 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:05 pm

Come and See

This legendary film from Soviet director Elem Klimov is a senses-shattering plunge into the dehumanizing horrors of war. As Nazi forces encroach on his small village in Belorussia, teenage Flyora (Alexei Kravchenko, in a searing depiction of anguish) eagerly joins the Soviet resistance. Rather than the adventure and glory he envisioned, what he finds is a waking nightmare of unimaginable carnage and cruelty—rendered with a feverish, otherworldly intensity by Klimov's subjective camera work and expressionistic sound design. Nearly blocked from being made by Soviet censors, who took seven years to approve its script, Come and See is perhaps the most visceral, impossible-to-forget antiwar film ever made.

SPECIAL FEATURES

• New 2K digital restoration by Mosfilm, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
• New interview with cinematographer Roger Deakins
• New interview with director Elem Klimov's brother and frequent collaborator German Klimov
Flaming Memory, a three-film documentary series from 1975–77 by filmmaker Viktor Dashuk featuring firsthand accounts of survivors of the genocide in Belorussia during World War II
• Interview from 2001 with Elem Klimov
• Interviews from 2001 with actor Alexei Kravchenko and production designer Viktor Petrov
How "Come and See" Was Filmed, a 1985 short film about the making of the film featuring interviews with Elem Klimov, Kravchenko, and writer Ales Adamovich
• Theatrical rerelease trailer
• New English subtitle translation
• PLUS: Essays by critic Mark Le Fanu and poet Valzhyna Mort

Lowry_Sam

Re: Forthcoming: Come and See

#2 Post by Lowry_Sam » Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:11 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:05 pm
Feast your eyes...Restoration Trailer
Wow. That image is one of the biggest improvements I've seen of a film I saw (in 35mm) in the theater (in the 90s). Definitely worth the wait.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

Re: Forthcoming: Come and See

#3 Post by tenia » Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:14 pm

If you want some screencaps, I reviewed the French disc (which uses the new restoration) and included some screencaps for the review. Yes, it's gorgeous.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: 1035 Come and See

#4 Post by domino harvey » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:35 pm

Flaming Memory, a three-film documentary series from 1975–77 by filmmaker Viktor Dashuk featuring firsthand accounts of survivors of the genocide in Belorussia during World War II
What is this? I can't even find evidence of its existence on IMDB

knives

#5 Post by knives » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:48 pm

Whatever it is it makes me even more excited for the release, somehow. What a great package.

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#6 Post by DarkImbecile » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:53 pm

Looks like an amazing edition; extremely excited for basically every element of this

Never Cursed
Such is life on board the Redoutable

#7 Post by Never Cursed » Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:05 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:35 pm
Google Books tells me that it is a Byelorussian documentary series, written by Alex Adamovich, Vladimir Kolesnik, and Dashuk, about the Nazis' liquidation of a region in Byelorussia. Some excerpts from an interview in the doc are also in the Google Books link. Adamovich's contribution to the documentary is I believe what makes it noteworthy in relation to Come And See, as he co-wrote the latter with Klimov and in part based the story on his own experiences as a teenaged partisan fighting the Nazis. The ASC's June 2004 magazine discusses Adamovich's contribution to the film in a bit more detail:
Stephen Pizzello wrote:The filmmaker drew further inspiration from The Khatyn Story, a novella by Alex Adamovich, a prominent author who fought as a teenager during the war. Klimov co-wrote the screenplay for Come and See with Adamovich, who prepared the film's extras by reading passages from another of his books, I Am From the Fiery Village, which incorporated testimonies from survivors of the atrocities in Belarus.
Vladimir Kolesnik, also credited to the documentary, co-wrote I Am From The Fiery Village with Adamovich.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#8 Post by domino harvey » Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:11 pm

Nice detective work, thanks!

Chance Hale

#9 Post by Chance Hale » Tue May 05, 2020 8:15 pm

The new restoration is up on criterion channel. Saw it for the first time a few months ago with the original upload and what a world of difference.

L.A.

#10 Post by L.A. » Sat May 16, 2020 12:59 pm

TMDaines

#11 Post by TMDaines » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:21 am

domino harvey wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:35 pm
It's surprising how relatively sparse IMDb is for films from certain parts of the world. I've had to add quite a bit of Ukrainian stuff. I'm not sure it has a big userbase in post-Soviet countries, probably because it doesn't really encourage engagement in non-Latin scripts.

knives

#12 Post by knives » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:54 am

Though it has a giant Indian base.

TMDaines

#13 Post by TMDaines » Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:47 am

Yes, as the IMDb top 250 now attests too. They even started doing a purely Indian top 100 in response to that. I guess India is English-speaking officially, which helps explain why it has caught on there.

MichaelB

#14 Post by MichaelB » Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:14 am

TMDaines wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:21 am
It's surprising how relatively sparse IMDb is for films from certain parts of the world. I've had to add quite a bit of Ukrainian stuff. I'm not sure it has a big userbase in post-Soviet countries, probably because it doesn't really encourage engagement in non-Latin scripts.
It's not my first port of call for Polish or Czech titles either, although happily in those cases there are superb local databases (especially filmpolski.pl, which I use all the time and which hasn't let me down yet).

Even if the IMDB has the films (which is by no means a given), the chances are that the names of the people involved will be misspelt because they can't handle non-Western diacritics. And diacritics are indeed a matter of basic spelling, not mere decoration - a Czech dictionary will list words beginning with Š in a different section from those beginning with S.

knives

#15 Post by knives » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:39 pm

That's interesting as most dictionaries for Semitic languages don't which can lead to a lot of confusion to non native speakers.

Calvin

#16 Post by Calvin » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:31 pm

Packaging photos indicate that it's coded both Region A/B. Logical for them to do this when they hold the rights in both territories, but would this be a first? It looks like The Cameraman, Husbands and Scorsese Shorts are all Region A only.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#17 Post by cdnchris » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:52 pm

I tested Come and See and it does play in my region B player. I'll look to check some other titles as well.

EddieLarkin

#18 Post by EddieLarkin » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:17 pm

Perhaps they had intended to make it a UK release, but they were scared off (BBFC?), and so decided an A/B release would be best instead, which they missed their chance to do with Andrei Rublev and War and Peace.

The Fanciful Norwegian

#19 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:24 pm

EddieLarkin wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:17 pm
Perhaps they had intended to make it a UK release, but they were scared off (BBFC?)
Come and See has never been cut in the UK. It doesn't even have an 18 certificate (it's a 15).

EddieLarkin

#20 Post by EddieLarkin » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:44 pm

Sure, but if the guys responsible for organising the UK releases actually knew anything about a film's BBFC history, they wouldn't have wasted the time (not to mention money) submitting Rublev and War and Peace.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#21 Post by tenia » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:39 am

There are some Criterion releases that are ported just a few months later in the UK. That might simply be one of them.

TheKieslowskiHaze

#22 Post by TheKieslowskiHaze » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:18 pm

My pre-order (from Criterion's website) arrived today. I don't think I've ever gotten a blu so many days before the release date. Might give it a watch tonight and return with thoughts.

TheKieslowskiHaze

#23 Post by TheKieslowskiHaze » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:42 am

TheKieslowskiHaze wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:18 pm
My pre-order (from Criterion's website) arrived today. I don't think I've ever gotten a blu so many days before the release date. Might give it a watch tonight and return with thoughts.
Video presentation is expectedly excellent. Much of the movie is bright, and those scenes are crisp, and colors really pop without disrespecting the muted color palette.

My only squabble re visuals is with dimmer, "foggier" scenes. It may be my set-up, but, in motion, those scenes strike me as very blurry. See when Flyora is first in his home, talking with his mother about joining the partisans. Or when he and a few other soldiers, carrying a fake HItler, flee from nazis into the woods. I felt the same way with Stalker, which also had this blur. It's exacerbated when my eyes are distracted by subtitles. This may not be a flaw, just an unavoidable thing that happens.
Last edited by TheKieslowskiHaze on Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

Calvin

#24 Post by Calvin » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:04 am

As per the Criterion subreddit, it appears that there won't be a UK release of Come and See despite them having the rights

The BBFC have never cut Come and See in the past, and while it's possible that distributors cut it prior to submission I can't find any evidence that this happened either; I no longer have the Nouveaux or Artificial Eye DVDs to check.

This does perhaps lend some weight to the rumour that future pressings of Andrei Rublev and War and Peace will be coded A/B for the same reasoning.

L.A.

#25 Post by L.A. » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:25 am

That A/B locking will do just fine. :D