948 The Princess Bride

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

948 The Princess Bride

#1 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:33 pm

The Princess Bride

A high-spirited adventure that pits true love against inconceivable odds, The Princess Bride has charmed legions of fans with its irreverent gags, eccentric ensemble, and dazzling swordplay. A kid (Fred Savage), home sick from school, grudgingly allows his grandfather (Peter Falk) to read him a dusty storybook—which is how we meet the innocent Buttercup (Robin Wright, in her breakout role), about to marry the nefarious Prince Humperdinck (Chris Sarandon) though her heart belongs to Westley (Cary Elwes). The wedding plans are interrupted, however, by a mysterious pirate, a vengeful Spaniard, and a good-natured giant, in a tale full of swashbuckling, romance, and outrageously hilarious spoofery. Directed by Rob Reiner from an endlessly quotable script by Oscar winner William Goldman, The Princess Bride reigns as a fairy-tale classic.

SPECIAL FEATURES

• New 4K digital transfer, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
• Audio commentary from 1996 featuring director Rob Reiner, screenwriter William Goldman, producer Andrew Scheinman, and actors Billy Crystal and Peter Falk
• Edited 1987 audiobook reading of Goldman's novel The Princess Bride by Reiner
• New program about Goldman's screenplay
• New program about Goldman's tapestry based on the film
• Archival interviews with Reiner, Goldman, and actors Crystal, Cary Elwes, Christopher Guest, Mandy Patinkin, Chris Sarandon, Fred Savage, and Robin Wright
• New interview with art director Richard Holland
• Programs about makeup, fencing, and fairy tales
• On-set video diary filmed and narrated by Elwes
• Five behind-the-scenes videos with commentaries from 1996 by Reiner, Scheinman, and Crystal
• Trailer
• PLUS: An essay by author Sloane Crosley and, for the Blu-ray edition, Goldman's introduction to his Princess Bride script from the 1995 collection Four Screenplays, in a lavishly illustrated, clothbound book

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: 948 The Princess Bride

#2 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:05 pm

I liked Sloane Crosley's first book of essays, interesting choice for the booklet

Luke M

#3 Post by Luke M » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:23 pm

OK, but if MGM is in the habit of licensing films why not something like Raging Bull?

cdnchris
Site Admin

#4 Post by cdnchris » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:28 pm

If MGM/Fox are letting go of staples like Bull Durham and Princess Bride they'd clearly have to let go of Raging Bull as well, non? I imagine the other two sell way more each than Raging Bull with general audiences.

At least it looks like they're putting more effort into this one, though, and not just porting old features and slapping on one new interview.

phoenix474

#5 Post by phoenix474 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:36 pm

a lavishly illustrated, clothbound book
Is it fair to assume this is gonna be a digibook? I don't picture them putting something that fancy in a normal case.

Edit. Never mind, just saw the packaging thread.

dda1996a

#6 Post by dda1996a » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:47 pm

Except for the 4k upgrade and the book I see no reason to upgrade from my 25th Anniversary blu-ray. Seems like most extras are about the same

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#7 Post by tenia » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:31 pm

dda1996a wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:47 pm
Seems like most extras are about the same
In bold what seems new :
Audio commentary from 1996 featuring director Rob Reiner, screenwriter William Goldman, producer Andrew Scheinman, and actors Billy Crystal and Peter Falk
Edited 1987 audiobook reading of Goldman’s novel The Princess Bride by Reiner
New program about Goldman’s screenplay
New program about Goldman’s tapestry based on the film

Archival interviews with Reiner, Goldman, and actors Crystal, Cary Elwes, Christopher Guest, Mandy Patinkin, Chris Sarandon, Fred Savage, and Robin Wright
New interview with art director Richard Holland
Programs about makeup, fencing, and fairy tales
On-set video diary filmed and narrated by Elwes
Five behind-the-scenes videos with commentaries from 1996 by Reiner, Scheinman, and Crystal
Trailer

The archival interviews might be something different than the longer featurettes included on the 2009 BD or the 25th anniversary one. Provided the new programs and interviews aren't 10 minutes apiece, this might actually tops quite well the older BD (but not enough, I suppose, to double dip).

knives

#8 Post by knives » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:34 pm

cdnchris wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:28 pm
If MGM/Fox are letting go of staples like Bull Durham and Princess Bride they'd clearly have to let go of Raging Bull as well, non? I imagine the other two sell way more each than Raging Bull with general audiences.

At least it looks like they're putting more effort into this one, though, and not just porting old features and slapping on one new interview.
Also Princess Bride is watchable which is more than can be said about Scorsese's ode to Catholic guilt.

Big Ben

#9 Post by Big Ben » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:42 pm

knives wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:34 pm
cdnchris wrote:

Also Princess Bride is watchable which is more than can be said about Scorsese's ode to Catholic guilt.
I imagine they'd want Scorsese involved and he appears to possess the ability to never tire and to be in multiple places at once. At the end of the day Princess Bride is just more marketable. Not that I don't think Raging Bull is amazing mind you.

kcota17

#10 Post by kcota17 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:04 pm

cdnchris wrote:

There’s a ugly clear strip on the side of the screen on the Blu-ray of Raging Bull. That alone is basis for Criterion to do a new transfer and warrant a double dip

Werewolf by Night

#11 Post by Werewolf by Night » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:15 pm

knives wrote:Also Princess Bride is watchable which is more than can be said about Scorsese's ode to Catholic guilt.
Do you get paid by the pound for all these contrarian opinions?

Peter McM

#12 Post by Peter McM » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:59 pm

I show this announcement to my wife and she says, "But we already have it."--referring to our very old, early generation DVD. We've never upgraded this to blu-ray...at all...ever.

Well, Honey, we are now.

Gerald Christie

#13 Post by Gerald Christie » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:05 pm

Despite loving this film and often seeing the various editions of the blu-ray for 5$ to 10$, I've yet to actually buy it. The 4k transfer and the new additions make it a fairly easy decision. Thank God so far I haven't seen people complaining about the fact that Criterion is releasing a mainstream title. Honestly, I don't think I could handle a Breakfast Club situation again. Besides, it's movies like this that lead the way to niche titles.

knives

#14 Post by knives » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:21 pm

Werewolf by Night wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:15 pm
knives wrote:Also Princess Bride is watchable which is more than can be said about Scorsese's ode to Catholic guilt.
Do you get paid by the pound for all these contrarian opinions?
They don't weigh all that much though.

Omensetter
Yes We Cannes

#15 Post by Omensetter » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:36 pm

Gerald Christie wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:05 pm
Thank God so far I haven't seen people complaining about the fact that Criterion is releasing a mainstream title. Honestly, I don't think I could handle a Breakfast Club situation again. Besides, it's movies like this that lead the way to niche titles.
Criterion releases a lot of mainstream titles and they do so proudly. What Breakfast Club situation you allude to is probably non-existent.

dda1996a

#16 Post by dda1996a » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:10 am

knives wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:34 pm
cdnchris wrote:

What films do you even like? You always seems to knock great films off, but never praise any. Imo Princess Bride is a terrific film, and Scorsese's masterpiece about jealousy and loneliness will be a day one buy for me if I didn't own a blu-ray of it already

knives

#17 Post by knives » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:47 am

The one this thread is dedicated to. Are you sure you don't have me mixed up with someone else as in general I would say I am rather positive in my film specific comments.

perkizitore

#18 Post by perkizitore » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:58 am

I think I will stick with iTunes 4K/Dolby Vision for this title.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#19 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:52 pm

knives has unique opinions on
many things, but just as often
they're positive, not negative,
so it's all pretty relative.
So calling him out for not liking
Raging Bull as some kind of striking
Camel/Straw offense is more than a bit odd--
especially since I also find it flawed!

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#20 Post by Brian C » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:45 pm

No more rhymes now, I mean it.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#21 Post by swo17 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:52 pm

Anybody else wish this release came packaged with a collectible rubber peanut?

Costa

#22 Post by Costa » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:03 pm

I wonder if I'm the only one here that doesn't like this film.
I LOVE 80s fantasy films (Labyrinth, Willow and Legend are my favourite), but I found this one of the worst films I've ever seen.
I am not sure what I might have missed.
Although seeing this edition, i want to re-evaluate it and like it so that I could buy it.

nitin

#23 Post by nitin » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:51 pm

I don’t like it much either :)

Lost Highway

#24 Post by Lost Highway » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:47 pm

I preferred the book.

Omensetter
Yes We Cannes

#25 Post by Omensetter » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:47 pm

I watched it last night after the Criterion announcement nudged me into finally sitting down and seeing it in one sitting. It was a charming enough, lovely family film that I'm glad exists in part because it is well-loved and I suppose I'd rather families and teenagers watch this smart, imaginative film than, I guess, YouTube attention-span killers. It seems something a lot of people can agree upon and that seems increasingly rare in an increasingly decentralized world. The film's harmless and how it could inspire active dislike is beyond me. I doubt I'll go out of my way to see it again, but I wouldn't object if someone put it on.

I can see the discount code for the October sale being "inconceivable".