672-675 3 Films by Rossellini Starring Ingrid Bergman

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
Jeff

672-675 3 Films by Rossellini Starring Ingrid Bergman

#1 Post by Jeff » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:09 pm

3 Films by Roberto Rossellini Starring Ingrid Bergman

In the late 1940s, the incandescent Hollywood star Ingrid Bergman found herself so moved by the revolutionary neorealist films of Roberto Rossellini that she sent the director a letter, introducing herself and offering her talents. The resulting collaboration produced a series of films that are works of both sociopolitical concern and metaphysical melodrama, each starring Bergman as a woman experiencing physical dislocation and psychic torment in postwar Italy. It also famously led to a scandalous affair and eventual marriage between filmmaker and star, and the focus on their personal lives in the press unfortunately overshadowed the extraordinary films they made together. Stromboli, Europe ’51, and Journey to Italy are intensely personal portraits that reveal the director at his most emotional and the glamorous actor at her most anguished, and that capture them and the world around them in transition.

Stromboli

The first collaboration between Roberto Rossellini and Ingrid Bergman is a devastating portrait of a woman’s existential crisis, set against the beautiful and forbidding backdrop of a volcanic island. After World War II, a Lithuanian refugee (Bergman) marries a simple Italian fisherman (Mario Vitale) she meets in a prisoner of war camp and accompanies him back to his isolated village on an island off the coast of Sicily. Cut off from the world, she finds herself crumbling emotionally, but she is destined for a dramatic epiphany. Balancing the director’s trademark neorealism (exemplified here in a remarkable depiction of the fishermen’s lives and work) with deeply felt melodrama, Stromboli is a revelation.

Europe '51

Ingrid Bergman plays a wealthy, self-absorbed socialite in Rome racked by guilt over the shocking death of her young son. As a way of dealing with her grief and finding meaning in her life, she decides to devote her time and money to the city’s poor and sick. Her newfound, single-minded activism leads to conflicts with her husband and questions about her sanity. The intense, often unfairly overlooked Europe ’51 was, according to Rossellini, a retelling of his own The Flowers of St. Francis from a female perspective. This unabashedly political but sensitively conducted investigation of modern sainthood was the director’s favorite of his films.

Journey to Italy

Among the most influential dramatic works of the postwar era, Roberto Rossellini’s Journey to Italy charts the declining marriage of a couple (Ingrid Bergman and George Sanders) from England while on a trip in the countryside near Naples. More than just an anatomy of a relationship, Rossellini’s masterpiece is a heartrending work of emotion and spirituality. Considered a predecessor to the existentialist films of Michelangelo Antonioni; hailed as a groundbreaking modernist work by the legendary film journal Cahiers du cinéma; and named by director Martin Scorsese as one of his favorite films, Journey to Italy is a breathtaking cinematic benchmark.

Disc Features

- New digital film restorations of the English- and Italian-language versions of Stromboli and Europe ’51 and the English-language version of Journey to Italy, with uncompressed monaural soundtracks on the Blu-ray editions
- Archival television introductions by director Roberto Rossellini to all three films
- Audio commentary for Journey to Italy featuring scholar Laura Mulvey
- Rossellini Through His Own Eyes, a 1992 documentary on the filmmaker’s approach to cinema, featuring archival interviews with Rossellini and actor Ingrid Bergman
- New visual essays about Rossellini by scholars Tag Gallagher and James Quandt
- Rossellini Under the Volcano, a 1998 documentary that returns to the island of Stromboli fifty years after the making of Stromboli
- New interview with critic Adriano Aprà about each of the films
- New interview with Fiorella Mariani, Rossellini’s niece, featuring home movies shot by Bergman
- New interview with film historian Elena Degrada about the different versions of Europe ’51
- New interviews with Isabella Rossellini and Ingrid Rossellini, daughters of Rossellini and Bergman
- Ingrid Bergman Remembered, a 1996 documentary on the actor’s life, narrated by her daughter Pia Lindstrom
- My Dad Is 100 Years Old, a 2005 short film, directed by Guy Maddin and starring Isabella Rossellini
- The Chicken, a 1952 short film by Roberto Rossellini, starring Bergman
- A Short Visit with the Rossellini Family, a six-minute film shot on Capri while the family was there during the production of Journey to Italy
- New English subtitle translation for Stromboli and Europe ’51
- PLUS: A booklet featuring essays by critics Richard Brody, Fred Camper, Dina Iordanova, and Paul Thomas; letters exchanged by Rossellini and Bergman; “Why I Directed Stromboli,” a 1950 article by Rossellini; a 1954 interview with Rossellini conducted by Eric Rohmer and François Truffaut for Cahiers du cinéma; and excerpts from a 1965 interview with Rossellini conducted by Aprà and Maurizio Ponzi for Filmcritica

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: 672-675 Three Films by Roberto Rossellini...

#2 Post by swo17 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:29 pm

Well, The Chicken made it anyway. And a Guy Maddin film!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:30 pm

swo17 wrote: And a Guy Maddin film!
You can't win 'em all!

zedz

#4 Post by zedz » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:35 pm

They've been holding onto My Dad Is 100 Years Old forever. Looks like a superb set of extras with this box.

Shame about the missing features: I can't imagine Criterion ever finding the opportunity to release Joan of Arc at the Stake, and runt of the litter Fear is a thousand-to-one shot. That said, does anybody have a good explanation exactly why Fear is a perpetual also-ran? For the life of me, I can't understand what separates it from the other three films in terms of quality or theme. Surely it's not just another manifestation of this ridiculous marketing obsession with trilogies?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#5 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:36 pm

They've carried over the Mulvey commentary from the BFI DVD too! While I'd like the missing films too, this looks like a strong contender for release of the year

Matt

#6 Post by Matt » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:37 pm

zedz wrote:I can't imagine Criterion ever finding the opportunity to release Joan of Arc at the Stake
You know, they still have yet to re-release The Passion of Joan of Arc and to release Bresson's The Trial of Joan of Arc. Maybe they'll all show up in one big box.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#7 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:37 pm

Matt wrote:
zedz wrote:I can't imagine Criterion ever finding the opportunity to release Joan of Arc at the Stake
You know, they still have yet to re-release The Passion of Joan of Arc and Bresson's The Trial of Joan of Arc. Maybe they'll all show up in one big box.
With Godard's King Lear too [-o<

zedz

#8 Post by zedz » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:39 pm

Burn, Baby, Burn: The Joan of Arc Celebrity Auteur Roast.

matrixschmatrix

#9 Post by matrixschmatrix » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:41 pm

If we're fantasizing, let's imagine that Criterion licensed Preminger's Saint Joan from Warner while we're at it.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#10 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:42 pm

The thing is, all of these movies are great. I've always wanted to teach a film class just on Joan of Arc and Jesse James depictions

The Narrator Returns

#11 Post by The Narrator Returns » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:43 pm

And for the sake of completion, let's throw in Luc Besson's The Messenger: Joan of Arc, absolutely free!

warren oates

#12 Post by warren oates » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:43 pm

Why not throw in the tedious Rivette films too?

EddieLarkin

Re: 672-675 3 Films by Roberto Rossellini...

#13 Post by EddieLarkin » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:54 pm

Stromboli and Europe ’51 will include both the English and Italian versions; not just alternate tracks, but separate transfers. How did the Italian prints differ, other than the obvious (title cards/soundtrack)?

*edit: actually there's a good run down of the differences for Stromboli in the BFI thread. I assume Europe '51 is generally the same. How about Journey? Is it case of it never having an alternate Italian cut or Criterion not being able to get the materials?

zedz

#14 Post by zedz » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:00 pm

warren oates wrote:Why not throw in the tedious Rivette films too?
Have you forgotten which label we're talking about here?

We're more likely to see Varda's Birkin portrait (which i just talking about elsewhere).

knives

#15 Post by knives » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:41 pm

zedz wrote: Shame about the missing features: I can't imagine Criterion ever finding the opportunity to release Joan of Arc at the Stake, and runt of the litter Fear is a thousand-to-one shot. That said, does anybody have a good explanation exactly why Fear is a perpetual also-ran? For the life of me, I can't understand what separates it from the other three films in terms of quality or theme. Surely it's not just another manifestation of this ridiculous marketing obsession with trilogies?
Actually Fear or The Machine That Kills Bad People is probably the next non-eclipse Rossellini they'll be releasing. They've shown a new transfer on TCM and have them both up on Hulu. They're probably never got off the pot with Joan though.

Tommaso

#16 Post by Tommaso » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:10 pm

domino harvey wrote:They've carried over the Mulvey commentary from the BFI DVD too! While I'd like the missing films too, this looks like a strong contender for release of the year
Indeed. Not least because of tag's visual essays. I'd have loved to buy the BFI releases because they're dual format, but this set blows away all my expectations in terms of extras, so this one it must be, unless Gary The Beaver reports serious fiddling with the blackness boost knob. Fingers crossed. Absolutely stunning, this and the 3 1/2 hour extra on "Autumn Sonata". A slim month in terms of quantity, but CC has never been so close to their form of the mid 2000's for a long time, considering the two Ray discs scheduled for August, too. Chapeau! My poor credit card...

Ashirg

#17 Post by Ashirg » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:14 pm

It would make more sense to have a collection of 2 films - Ingrid Bergman as Joan of Arc with Victor Fleming's Joan of Arc (1948) (owned by Image) and Roberto Rossellini's Giovanna d'Arco al rogo (1954).

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#18 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:21 pm

Someone in Ireland needs to go round and throw a bucket of water over ellipsis.

ellipsis7

#19 Post by ellipsis7 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:45 pm

Leaving a pail of the wet stuff aside, this really is a great package, makes up for the drought of Italian CC releases for the first 8 months of the year...

The Italian language version of JOURNEY TO ITALY is to be included on the BFI BR/DVD package but not here...

dad1153

#20 Post by dad1153 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:52 pm

EddieLarkin wrote:How about Journey? Is it case of it never having an alternate Italian cut or Criterion not being able to get the materials?
TCM recently showed "Journey to Italy" (the first time I've seen the movie, which quietly blew me away; great ending) and it was in Italian with English subtitles, so that version exists. Wish this version was available on the Criterion release (it's good to have options) but it's out there.
Last edited by dad1153 on Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ellipsis7

#21 Post by ellipsis7 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:55 pm

Those BFI JOURNEY specs...
Special Features

- Presented in both High Definition and Standard Definition
- Alternative Italian language version
- Feature-length Laura Mulvey audio commentary
- Extensive booklet with essays and film notes

SpiderBaby

#22 Post by SpiderBaby » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:59 pm

Isn't the Italian cut 85 minutes, and the English version 97 minutes? Why is the English cut Criterion releasing 85 minutes (Janus has it around 85-86 minutes as well on their site)?

matrixschmatrix

#23 Post by matrixschmatrix » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:07 pm

I could understand including both versions for all of them, or for none, or only for Stromboli (in which the Italian version is markedly different, and in which Bergman dubbed her own voice) but I'm not sure I understand the rationale behind leaving off the Italian version on just Journey to Italy. Perhaps it's just an oversight? It seems doubly odd to have only the English language version if it's missing the sequence that's not in the Viaggio cut, which is all I can think of to account for the running time discrepancy.

Fred Holywell

#24 Post by Fred Holywell » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:34 pm

matrixschmatrix wrote:...I'm not sure I understand the rationale behind leaving off the Italian version on just Journey to Italy.
Having seen both versions, I much prefer the English one, but the Italian should be included for both historical, as well as aesthetic reasons. I understand that the Rossellini family prefers the English, but apparently they don't have a problem with the Italian being released by the BFI. I hope Criterion offers an explanation for choosing to leave it out. (I seem to remember the recent TCM screening of the Italian version being preceded by a Janus Films logo, which, if correct, makes this even stranger.)

knives

#25 Post by knives » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:53 pm

It's probably a matter of room and certainly the english edition is the more definitive and right to keep if one had to be dropped.